Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Some kind person in Reading?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

badger

badger Report 26 Feb 2008 10:56

Is there anyone who knows Reading well and able to tell me if [2 The grove] still exists,and if so exactly where.?
Having sent for my mothers Birth certificate ,i know that this is the address where she was born,and i'm trying to find a sort of picture as to what it looks like.
It seems my grandad worked at an RAF depot near there,but i can't make out the name of it,[seems to be Gt A--sy] though it isn't all that far to White Waltham,an airfield
Hope someone can help a little.Fred

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 26 Feb 2008 11:08

The Grove is still there..midway between Queens Road and London Road...it's on multimap :)

Alan

Alan Report 26 Feb 2008 12:01

Hello Badger.
The Grove is is just north of Caversham and part of Emmer Green. It was just a country lane and there were 3 or 4 cottages opposite Grove farm and the rest of the road was just fields. I used to live not far from The Grove in the 1940's and 50's.
I cannot recall a RAF depot in the area.
Regards Alan.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 26 Feb 2008 12:10

White Waltham used to be an RAF base it is now a private airfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Waltham_Airfield

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAF_stations

Sue

Sue Report 26 Feb 2008 12:55

If you go to www.photoexchange.ourgenealogydotcodotuk someone from that area might take some photos for you. I have done this for someone who wanted pictures of Stratford.

badger

badger Report 27 Feb 2008 16:54

Thanks all,i found it with your help.
White Watham is the only airfield in the area ,so i reckon it's where my grandad worked.
i will look at the idea of getting a photo on line as suggested.Fred.