Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer Crashes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sprack

Sprack Report 26 Feb 2008 11:07

Hello is there anyone here that could tell my why my computer crashes if I watch programs on ITV local,com or BBC i-player?, its a shame because there are some lovely programs on there that I would like to watch but cant.
Thanks
Jenny x

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 26 Feb 2008 22:15

Hello Jenny,
What operating system are you using. XP, Vista, ME, Win2000?
Cheers
Paul

Sprack

Sprack Report 26 Feb 2008 22:22

XP Paul

Sprack

Sprack Report 26 Feb 2008 23:01

I'll get any replies tomorrow Paul because I'm off to bed now.
Jenny

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 28 Feb 2008 22:46

Hi Jenny,
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've asked around and no-one I know who uses BBCi player appear to be having any trouble. Perhaps it would be worth you uninstalling it and then re-installing it once again.
Good luck
Paul

Sprack

Sprack Report 29 Feb 2008 07:18

Hi Paul
Thanks for asking about it, I dont think I had to install anything to watch ITV local though or BBCi player?.
I copied the error message down that came up when I restarted and put it into google and this is what it said.
Jenny

Technical Information
How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP (Q322205)

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 29 Feb 2008 09:26

Does the fan kick in when you start watching these programs? It could be that the computer is over working and gets too hot?

Sprack

Sprack Report 29 Feb 2008 09:33

Hi Susan my fan is going all the time and makes a hell of a row

Sprack

Sprack Report 29 Feb 2008 09:40

I have to go out now so I'll get any replies later.
Jenny

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 29 Feb 2008 17:30

Hi Jenny,
Have you got any other players running at the same time, for example Realplayer. It may be that they are in contention when it plays.
I had a quick look myself at BBCi and it opens it's own player and I had no trouble with that. I did not go any further with downloading programs.
Is it when you reply a downloaded program or just when you watch on screen that you PC crashes?
Curious
Paul

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Feb 2008 17:45

If the fan is very noisy it may need a clean,
My Pc was constantly crashing so i took it to a local PC doc who when he took the side off the tower said ,thats prob your problem its over heating cos its got LOADS of dust in it . a gentle hoover out solved it, Was told you need to keep the tower clean by housekeeping every so often
Shirley

Sprack

Sprack Report 29 Feb 2008 18:35

Thanks Shirley thats my problem then I'll have to do the housework more often lol, shall I unscrew it and get the vax out or leave it to an expert?.

Paul I dont think I had real player running as well but last time it crashed I had a few windows open and I was talking to someone on MSN at the same time and I didn't download any programs I was watching a documentary from last year on ITV local called country ways.

Jenny

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 1 Mar 2008 12:40

Unless you know what you are doing, do not attempt an internal clean of the pc yourself!

When I had a desk top pc, the tower was kept on a shelf an inch from the floor and I found that running the hoover hose over the front of it regularly really helped clear out all the dust, hairs and fluff accumulating, not only at the intake vent but also any other hole it could find - like the disc player and sliding controls etc.

If your noisy computer/fan suddenly stops being noisy, that's because the fan has died and will need to be replaced pdq.

Sprack

Sprack Report 1 Mar 2008 12:56

Thanks for the advice Susan I wont touch it I'll call in the local repair shop Monday to see if they will do it for me.
Jenny