Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hellen

Hellen Report 28 Feb 2008 14:41

Can someone help me please? I requested a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate, gave their names, year of marriage, etc and all the references I had found on-line (and with help) and this morning got an email saying I had been charged £3 for looking and £4 was coming back to me but they hadn't got married on the 1st of December of the year in question. I know it wasn't the 1st already, but thought since I had all the details including the correct month they had married the records office would find it from that. As you guessed I am new to this, but surely it can't be that difficult, or am I being slow here?

Julie

Julie Report 28 Feb 2008 14:44

Hellen

I would give them a ring ( where you ordered it from) and see what they say

Sam

Sam Report 28 Feb 2008 14:46

You only need to quote the GRO reference and the name of either the bride or groom.

If you ask them to check too much information and one tiny part doesn't match (like your date) then they won't send the cert.

I assume you ordered from the GRO.

Sam x

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 28 Feb 2008 14:49

Hellen
Sometimes the register offices need the exact place of marriage too (ie Register Office or individual parish church) as they don't usually have a comprehensive list of all marraiges in the district and will only look in the place you tell them to, rather than all the individual parish church records. Hopefully you can follow Julie's advice and ring them for an explanation.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Feb 2008 14:50

Give them only the minimum required info..........even one tiny detail which doesn't match will mean they say it can't be found.

For a marriage, only the name of one of the couple is necessary........plus the year, qtr, district, vol no and page no

Reg

Julie

Julie Report 28 Feb 2008 14:53

I was just thinking..if it was the one i helped you with the other day, which i can't seem to find to refresh this memory of mine...and i think the problem would of been the date, as i wouldn't of know that, but hopefully you can get it sorted

Hellen

Hellen Report 28 Feb 2008 15:09

Thank you everyone for your help and replies. Going to ring them now and see what they say. I think I gave them too much information. Have learnt a valuable lesson!
Hellen