Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage / Divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Babette

Babette Report 28 Feb 2008 14:58

I was wondering if someone could help me please?

On my grandparents marriage certificate it mentions that my Nan was married before to a Mr Adams and obtained a divorce from him.

I am trying to find the certificate for this marriage and everywhere I've searched has resulted in nothing or no match.

Is it possible for someone to have a look for me as an extra pair of eyes please to make sure that I haven't missed it? or point me in the right direction on where I could find it?

Elsie May Seymour born 1905 Speen, Newbury, Berkshire moved to Reading Berkshire in the 1920's. She and married and divorced sometime between 1925 to 1947 to Mr Adams.

Also, is there anywhere you can find or obtain any information on the divorce?

Thank you for your time, any information gratefully received.

Regards
Babette

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Feb 2008 15:02

I think you may have meant to say she was born in 1905?

Unless her first marriage is on freebmd...........have you checked?.........it will mean trawling the full index........qtr by qtr

Reg

Willow

Willow Report 28 Feb 2008 15:21

There is this divorce in the J77 range in the national archives catalogue

Scope and content
Divorce Court File: 4754. Appellant: Daniel Patrick Joseph Adams. Respondent: Elsie May Adams. Co-respondent: Benjamin James Smith. Type: Husband's petition for divorce [hd].
Covering dates 1927
Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years
Held by
The National Archives, Kew

Obviously you will need to look if there was a marriage between your Elsie May Seymour and Daniel Patrick Joseph Adams.

Heres a link to divorce papers, and what you can expect to find .

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=53&j=1

If the divorce happened after 1938 then the only place you can got to get a copy of the nisi and absolute is the :
Principal Registry of the Family Division, Decree Absolute Section, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP

but its expensive and you dont get any real detail about the divorce, it costs £40 for a 10 year search.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Feb 2008 16:30

I've checked the full index 1925-1927 (with the exception of OND 1925, which isn't available on Ancestry).

No results

Reg