Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 expert needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 28 Feb 2008 16:13

I have just found a site which tells me all the battles the 2nd Battilion linconlshire regiment were involved in during the War. In one place there was 6month gap between battles. What would the battalion have done during this time.

Battle of Langemarck ended 18 Aug 1917
Battle of St Quentin started 21st Mar 1918

Thanks

Jane

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 28 Feb 2008 16:35

I am no expert, but is it possible that they were withdrawn for rest and recouperation? Possibly being returned to England?

Jane

Jane Report 28 Feb 2008 16:47

thanks Keith

His service record is missing so I can't even get any clues from there.

Thanks for your help

Jane

English Bob

English Bob Report 28 Feb 2008 16:52

...Major battles are obviously serious points of dating during the First World War, much of the other periods time was spent as suggested in R&R, manouvres, training, support and relocation as was dictated by other events and by the enemy in the War.

It would probably be useful to you to reference a few books, of which there are thousands available, detailing the general history of this conflict. Gaining an overall knowledge will stand you in good stead.

Best regards, Bob

G.Father: C.R.Cooke Gnr40246 Tank Corps: MM 3rd Battle of Ypres 1917

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Feb 2008 16:58

You could always ask the Regimental Museum, if there is one. Or, war diary for the battalion (at National Archives) could be checked.

Jane

Jane Report 28 Feb 2008 17:04

Thanks Bob Yes I think you are right, i will have to do some more research.

Ann

I am hoping to go and have a look at a war diary for his regiment at Kew. I know there is one there. Its just finding the time to go.

Thank you both for your help

Jane

English Bob

English Bob Report 28 Feb 2008 17:34

...I hate to be devil's advocate, however tempting war diaries maybe and I admire your zeal!.....but before you go tearing off to view at Kew, a couple of considerations. Lots of men were seconded to other units and different areas for many reasons and varying lengths of time.

Full Regimental Battalion strength for major actions was often supplimented through these means, so no guarantee that any man was anywhere anywhen during this conflict.....unless you have letters, photos or service record for instance.

War diaries mostly contain events CO's orders, corps strength etc. and results, only sometimes were actual men mentioned.

Be lucky, Bob

Jane

Jane Report 28 Feb 2008 17:39

Thanks Bob

But as I can't his service record this is probably the best I am going to get.

I can try.

Jane

Denis

Denis Report 29 Feb 2008 09:53

Don't forget that the front line across France and Belgium had to be manned during the entire Great War. There were famous offensives such as those you mention but between times there was no shortage of activity.