Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newbies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

moggymum

moggymum Report 28 Feb 2008 19:27

Finding my way round all of this is like swimming blindfolded in black treacle. What's a nudge? What do you do with threads?

I have asked for help tracing people, and then realised days later how to get the reply - no, I am not stupid, I just don't think things are explained very well by GR - not everyone knows how to do things.

Is there a site that you can go on and find out - say on a birth /marriage certificate, the names of all parties; would it pay me to join Ancestry - I have gone on the sites mentioned in previous articles and am trying to trace relatives, just doubting that I am doing it the right way.

Great if you know what you are doing, bear with us that don't - be kind and still pass on all your tips!!!

In case I haven't replied to the person I asked the question to, its because I have grouted a bathroom wall, made a fresh cream raspberry sponge, washed the tiles downstairs, cooked tea and am now back on the computer - with a glass of wine to hand!!!

Jan

PS When I send questions, why does my query come up add, delete send - is there something that I am not doing right?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Feb 2008 19:51

No you are doing nothing wrong, its just that what you expected from GR isnt instant. The Boards are there to ask question, a thread is the topic you have just started and people will answer you on.

I have a campaign for simple English which GR ignore. So thread topic is the title at the top and thread subject is the letter you have just written ?? easy....no!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Feb 2008 20:49

If you can afford it, it is well worth joining Ancestry, or taking up a free offer when available.

Ann
Glos

moggymum

moggymum Report 28 Feb 2008 20:53

Thanks folks, just sometimes I feel a real durghhhhh!

Jan

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 28 Feb 2008 23:55

Perhaps we should find a way for "experienced" members to adopt a newbie....

Peter

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 29 Feb 2008 00:42

I think we often "foster" a newbie for a while Peter! LOL

I have found myself taking new researchers under my wing for a little while till they can sort themselves out.

I think the thing to remember Jan is that we were all new to this group once but some of us arrive on here as already experienced family historians while a lot come here first.

You are trying to do a lot at once so perhaps need to take it a little bit at a time and explore the site as carefully as you can.

There is a search function so you can bring up old discussions on topics. It's worth looking to see if one exists on something you are interested in.

Roughly the same questions crop up fairly regularly so you are not the only beginner. If you remember to say you are a new researcher then the more experienced ones are less likely to use jargon or assume you understand.

Good luck and don't forget to ask away.

Best wishes
Sue
x

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 29 Feb 2008 00:44

Peter I think that is a great idea
I often help people out and am surprised at what they genuinely dont know.
Being able to explain something carefully and patiently 1 on 1 with someone taking into account their level of computer literacy etc is so much kinder than what we sometimes see on these boards where people are made to feel like they should at least donate there firstborn to the person doing a lookup,
Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how to get this up and running
Regards Tania

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 29 Feb 2008 00:55

Sounds a good idea.

We could have a thread offering the service of mentor to new members. The only problem might be if mentors found themselves so busy that they'd not have time to do their own research.

Also it's often better if several people are working on a problem and bouncing ideas off each other.

I don't mind helping newbies but how many would want a mentor?

Sue
x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Feb 2008 01:12

We all know that GR boards are disfunctional, and there is no explanantion on how they work for newbies.

We all also know that the help we give to newbies is what GR uses in its advertising, with the implication that they do all the searches!

If I get the feeling (or am told) that someone is a newbie, I try to explain where I have found the information, and where they can search it for themselves, by giving the web address, eg www.freebmd.org.uk instead of just saying freebmd.

I've also spent ages at various times showing people how to search on freebmd or on ancestry, or any other site for that matter

And like many others ...... I have mentored and/or taken newbies under my wing.

But that mentoring is usually done off board, by personal messages.

I much prefer helping in searches on the boards themselves (love it since they've changed Trying to Find for example) . because, as Sue says, it really helps to have several people bouncing ideas and thoughts off each other. Plus we all have soem different site(s) that we use, and this also helps.

In addition, is the fact that there are the different shifts of people who help.

sylvia

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Feb 2008 01:22

Yes I suggested a buddy system to help a newby a couple of weeks ago which went down like the proverbial lead balloon!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Feb 2008 01:34

Lindsey

One of the problems is ............... most of the people I help on the boards and privately are in the UK

But I am in Canada

Times are very different.

Then there are the practical problems such as how does mentor find mentoree

Heaven help us if GR get involved in that!

I think it could be a good idea ....... but I think it should be left as it is, ie an ad hoc situation.

sylvia

Heather

Heather Report 29 Feb 2008 09:41

I think as Sylv says - a lot of newbies still come here thinking the promise of "find your ancestors" by GR's advertising, is not only instant, painless and included in their small sub cost, but the people providing help are paid for by GR! lol.

If GR would just add a stickie with info for the new members it would save the same old questions over and over again.

There is some info on the GR homepage but it seems most people dont stop to look at that.

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 29 Feb 2008 18:42

Thats a good idea island,sounds pretty workable too
Regards Tania