Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PEOPLE USING TWO SURNAMES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Megs Dicky Island

Megs Dicky Island Report 29 Feb 2008 01:22

Can anyone help please.

I have a death index for James William McDonald birth date 11 July 1912 died Dec 1990, Grimsby.
He married a Freda Greenaway Lainchbury 8/10/1931, Grimsby.
I am trying to trace his father.
Have found James W MacDonald born 1912 mmn Downes, Goole.
On marriage details for James I have father John James McDonald, fisherman, he is also a witness.
Have spoke to Grimsby archives today they have a John James McDonald died 5/6/1956 age 79, also known as McDonough.
I have looked at death index and he registered under McDonald and McDonough.

I have found a marriage for a John McDonouch 1907 Preston, Lancs, but reading image think it is McDonough, to a Sarah Ann Downing (could James W McDonald's mmn be incorrect on birth index).

Am I just looking for something because I'm getting desperate or can anyone else see where I'm coming from.

Regards Jen

Ivy

Ivy Report 29 Feb 2008 01:44

Hi Jen,

I asked Ancestry whether it could find any John Mcdon* in Lincolnshire. It offered the birth and matching death of John James McDonald b 1863 in Louth and d 1901 in Grimsby. Clearly this is not the man who witnessed the 1931 wedding - but it does seem an unusual combination of names for Lincolnshire.

I'm not sure why Ancestry doesn't offer any census info via that search...

Megs Dicky Island

Megs Dicky Island Report 29 Feb 2008 01:56

Hi Ivy

There was a story that is still going about now, that James William McDonalds Grandfather moved over from Ireland and changed their name from McDonough/McDonah to McDonald and finding John James buried in Grimsby confirmed that for me. Do you think I'm wasting my time looking for him?

Anyone posting will get back to you in morning. Thanks.

Ivy

Ivy Report 29 Feb 2008 02:01

Hi Jen,

I've been having a look at Macdon*/Mcdon* in Lincolnshire census returns from 1871 to 1901. There are not too many of them, and as you say, they are a mixture of Scottish Macdonald and Irish MacDon*gh. I think I'd be inclined to go for the birth certificate and try and trace the father via his mother?

Penny

Penny Report 29 Feb 2008 08:09

(could James W McDonald's mmn be incorrect on birth index).

it could be, but does seems as though you are trying to squeeze things to fit a bit!

Megs Dicky Island

Megs Dicky Island Report 29 Feb 2008 11:24

Thanks Ivy.

You're probably right, best ordering a certificate.

JMW

JMW Report 29 Feb 2008 13:12

You would be surprised at how many people use other / another name. They can be using two at once (Otherwise) or have declared the use of a previous name (Formerly known as). In both of these cases registrars would index each set of names. It is a question of ensuring identity.