Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find a marriage - can you give some advi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 29 Feb 2008 14:43

I would like to find the marriage certificate of my ggg grandparents. I am a beginner at this so am not sure when marrige records are available from. The information that I have is as follows:

John Greenwood LLOYD married Annie Elizabeth (surname not known). Theire 1st child (Sarah Elizabeth) was born in 1883 ish. I am assuming that they would have been married a couple of years or so before. I don't know Annie s surname and that it what I am trying to find out via a marriage certificate. If there is any other way of finding out please can you let me know.

John Lloyd was born in Presteign, Radnorshire and his wife was born in Brassington, Derbyshire.

Many thanks

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 29 Feb 2008 14:45

Marriages Jun 1882
LLOYD John Greenwood Knighton 11b 220
Moore Annie Elizabeth Knighton 11b 220

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 29 Feb 2008 14:46

Is this them?

Fiona

Fiona Report 29 Feb 2008 14:51

Thanks for the very speedy response. Not sure if this is my Annie Elizabeth but please can you let me know how you found this information. I was on ancestry and couldn't find what I wanted. Do you know if it is possible to see the mothers maiden name on birth records, some that I have checked don't show it, whilst some do, was there a date that this was introduced, do you know? this was how I was trying to find out her maiden name. Maybe I will have to go ahead and order a birth certificate.

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 29 Feb 2008 14:53

www.freebmd.org.uk

Potty

Potty Report 29 Feb 2008 14:59

Fiona

Use freebmd for birth, death and marriage registrations - it is where Ancestry get there partial records from. The search facility is much better. If you know the groom's name and the brides first name you can search that, which will bring up far less results to search through. Although you still may not find what you are looking for.

MMN first appears in the index in 3rd qtr 1911.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 29 Feb 2008 15:00

Fiona, mothers maiden names were not recorded on the birth index until 1911, before then they were not recorded.

Have you found the parents on any census?
If so you could possibly work out a marriage date from that and find the marriage, but easiest way is to get the cert.

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 29 Feb 2008 15:00

As far as I know (and there may be someone more knowledgable on th subject along in a minute), mothers' names were always put onto a child's birth certificate. It should appear as 'Mother: "Firstname" "Last name", formerly "maiden name".

The maiden name of the mother only started to appear in the lists from Q4 1911.

Hope this helps you.

I personally find Ancestry very hit and miss for searching.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Feb 2008 15:01

MMN on births.......and spouse surname on marriages.........were added to the indices from late 1911...........

You can check the info provided above, by looking on 1881 census for a woman whose details match the known facts.........

Reg