Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katherine

Katherine Report 29 Feb 2008 16:28

can anyone tell me what this means?
on a death cert from 1951 the name of the persons mother says Sarah Matilda Mann now -------- (there is a line) does this mean she had another name and they didnt know it?

If the persons father is deceased and it doesnt say for the mother does that mean they were still alive?
Thanks for any suggestions

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Feb 2008 16:32

sounds like the mum may have remarried but the informant didnt know her new name

Judith

Judith Report 29 Feb 2008 16:36

the line could simply mean it was unreadable, or that the person registering the death didn't know it.
If a person predeceases an event it is usually recorded on any certificate assuming the person registering knew it.
On a marriage cert it will say if the father is dead but the mother isn't usually recorded.
On a birth certificate it usually says if either or both parents are deceased - in the case of the mother the death would need to occur between delivery and registration and for the father between conception and registration

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 29 Feb 2008 17:26

On a marriage cert it does not always say if father is deceased. My mother married in 1943 and gave details of her father and his occupation. She did not tell the vicar that her father had died in 1922!

Jill

Judith

Judith Report 29 Feb 2008 17:39

well if she didn't tell then it wouldn't say, but generally if the information is reported it is recorded. My grandmother lays claim to no father on her marriage certificate but he was alive and well - she'd just fallen out with him

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Mar 2008 12:48

I've seen a couple of instances where the mother has married/remarried after the child was born, and the child has given the mother's name at the time of their birth, and added "now wife of John Smith (Ag Labr)" or whatever. I think this is a similar case, except that the new married name is unkown.

As for the absence of "deceased", since it's present for the other parent, I'ld be inclined to think that there was probably one parent surviving, but I wouldn't be certain - my view would also be influenced by whether the child was living in the same area as the parents.