Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relationship of gt grandfather's half siblings to

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 1 Mar 2008 12:36

Hi
Would anyone happen to know what relation to me my great grandfather's half sibling's are to me
My great grandfather's mother remarried and had a daughter and son to her new husband
l am writing family record books for my grandchildren and would like to list relationship to make it easier reading
Thanks in advance for any help
Regards
Pam

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Mar 2008 12:40

They would be a (half) great, great, aunt and uncle.

They would be your great grandfather's half brother and sister
Your grandparent's half aunt and uncle
Your parent's half great aunt and uncle
Your half great, great uncle and aunt.

Kath. x

Pam

Pam Report 1 Mar 2008 12:46

Thanks Kath
l just wanted to make absolutely sure
Can't afford any mistakes lol
Thanks again
Happy hunting
Best wishes
Pam

Julie

Julie Report 1 Mar 2008 18:41

Hi Pam

I found this on the net......hope it helps.

Explanation of Relationships

Some people have difficulty working out relationships, especially distant ones of first, second and third cousins, once, twice and three times removed. They are really quite easy if you remember a few simple rules.

1. If you share parents you are siblings, brothers and/or sisters.

2. If you share only one parent you are half siblings, half brothers and/or half sisters.

3. If you share grandparents, you are first cousins. (The same generation)

4. If you share great grandparents, you are second cousins. (The same generation)

5. If you share great great grandparents, you are third cousins. (The same generation)

Removed, simply means, the number of generations levels that one cousin is removed from the other, up or down..

A. Your father or mother’s first cousins are your first cousins once removed. (One generation above or removed from your generation.)

B. Your first cousin's children are also your first cousins once removed. (One generation below or removed from your generation.)

C. Your first cousin's grandchildren are your first cousins twice removed. (Two generations below or removed from your generation.)

D. Your first cousin's great grandchildren are your first cousins three times removed. (Three generations below or removed from your generation.)

Julie