Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bond?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Mar 2008 13:19

I'm asking this for a friend who has her tree back to the 1700's. She has the following record for a marriage

"5th August 1737 St Nicholas Church Nottingham
Richard Reynolds widower, weaver of Sutton in Ashfield and Mary Radford spinster 24 1/2 yrs of same.
Bond by Joseph Radford of North Wingfield."

Joseph is the brother of Mary. Does anyone know what the bond is all about? Its the first time either of us has come across this and although I could hazard a guess as to what it could be I thought I'd ask the experts

LD

LD Report 2 Mar 2008 13:26

Where on the record does it say that ?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Mar 2008 13:43

According to Margaret that is the exact wording of the entry in the church records.

Potty

Potty Report 2 Mar 2008 13:54

Googled and found this site:
www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss/services/publications/guides/marriagebonds.phtml

imp

imp Report 2 Mar 2008 14:09

It would mean they got married (or intended to get married) by Licence.

There was an 'allegation' - in which they stated there were no impediments to the marriage, and a bond (put up by a bondsman) which meant if it was subsequently found that there was an impediment to the marriage there was a financial penalty.

They survive in varying degrees for each county.

I suppose as no banns were read, then it was a way of ensuring people did not get married by Licence as a way to avoid disclosing facts which may affect the marriages validity.

If you see that a marriage is 'by Licence' it is well worth pursuing the possibility of any related documents that survive.

Gail.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Mar 2008 14:15

Thank you for that. I can't believe I fell into my own trap. I always recommend people to "google" and then I forget to do it myself!

The clues were there. Margaret had said they'd married by licence as well. Why didn't I pick up on that.

I wonder why they married by licence? They were both of the same parish, they were both old enough to not need parental consent. Perhaps she was expecting and wanted to get the marriage out of the way quickly without the banns being read.

imp

imp Report 2 Mar 2008 16:31

Possibly they needed to marry quickly, I have some couples that married by Licence but seems to be because they were not of full age.

Gail.