Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you show two brothers marrying two sisters?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Esta

Esta Report 3 Mar 2008 17:04

I have two sisters in my tree Eliza and Mary who have married two brothers Joseph and Henry.

I established Joseph in his family tree but at the time could not connect Henry with Joseph and his parents etc so have entered him separately.

I have now found the relationship between Joseph and Henry ie his brother but cannot see how to connect Henry to Joseph and his parents in the family tree and still keep the connection to his wife and children.

Any ideas anyone??

Esta

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 3 Mar 2008 17:07

I don't think you can on here - I have had trouble with cousins and second cousins marrying. You end up with two branches the same ... I let one branch stay on and add notes to the other branch - as I do not want duplicate ancestors!!

Offline you could do it.

I believe that if you give GR full details they can do it for you but I've not tried this yet - I think others may have done so and will be able to tell you if it works or not.

Jill

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 3 Mar 2008 19:32

I have 2 brothers married to 2 sisters and it shows ok on here. I uploaded it as a gedcom from my FTM family tree on my computer.
Don't know if that makes any difference

Jan

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 3 Mar 2008 20:15

i had same problem in that my father's half sister (same mother) married my father's half brother (same father), i couldnt do it on here but can on ftm

stephanie

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 3 Mar 2008 20:29

Like Jan says, I think the only way to do it is to upload it as a gedcom file from your family tree programme. Genes have been promising to sort this out for years now, but we are still waiting.

Esta

Esta Report 4 Mar 2008 09:53

Thanks to all for the input I will upload as a Gedcom file.

Esta