Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

emigration to usa in 1870

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

femalegannet

femalegannet Report 3 Mar 2008 21:50

Mary Edwards (1846) appears to have travelled to new york on the Manhattan on 2 dec 1870 with 2 children. Where did they go next? how can I find out? They only stayed a few years as they and 3 more kids (2 born in Carbon County) appear on the1881 cencus.
There are 4 states with a carbon county so I'm stuck.
Her hubby william apeears to have gone on an earlier boat (2 possibles)
I'm really pleased with my self for findong the boat...1st visit to local archives today

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 3 Mar 2008 22:46

You may be lucky enough to find someone in the US who does lookups. In which case maybe your relations are in a directory or on a US census and could be found.

Worth doing a search on as many sites as possible.

Someone found some relations of mine on a Newark directory and the US censuses are held a year before ours.

Sue

femalegannet

femalegannet Report 3 Mar 2008 23:01

Thanks
they missed the 1870 census and returned before the 1888 one. I hadn't thought of the directory.
The date is too early for ellis island i've looked.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 4 Mar 2008 05:19

In case you don't have full details:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Mary Edwards
Arrival Date: 2 Dec 1870
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Great Britain
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: British (English)
Ship Name: Manhattan
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 34
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_337
List Number: 1107
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

She travelled with two children: William, age 3; Elizabeth, infant.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Mar 2008 06:31

Have you traced the children in 1891 and 1901?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Mar 2008 07:18

Was William a coal miner? Could be Carbon County in Pennsylvania. I lot of English miners went out there. If William went out earlier he might be there for the 1870 census.

Rose

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Mar 2008 10:59

Although a Carbon Co existed in Wyoming Terr in from 1868, one wasn't created in Utah Terr until 1894 and in Montana Terr. in 1895. Carbon Co PA was created in 1843. Its name alludes to its deposits of anthracite coal, and it's abt 90 miles W of New York NY. Given the choice between Wyoming and Pennsylvania as a destination for an English immigrant in the 1870s, I would definitely opt for PA.

http://www.carboncounty.com/about.htm
http://wyoming.gov/state/wyoming_news/general/history.asp
http://www.lofthouse.com/USA/Utah/carbon/index.html
http://www.co.carbon.mt.us/

femalegannet

femalegannet Report 17 Mar 2008 20:36

Oh dear, so sorry all,not been on Genes for 2 weeks I haven't digested the information yet but I can't believe the rush seeing the feedback has given me!!!!
Thanks Lisa for the full info,
mgnv: you are a star, I'll get looking now for the birth register of the 2 siblings,
portland rose: I found the 2 children back in england on the 1881/91/1901, with 2 kids born in carbon co and another ( my grandad) born in 1879. no definate record of dad William in the 1881 (he was a train driver/engineer) and mary married again in 1887.

I suppose he could have stayed in usa or died here its such a common name its hard to be sure.
does the fact william (dad ) was train driver still mean PA is still the most likely place.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 18 Mar 2008 01:38

Do you know when William was born (or, perhaps I missed it?).

femalegannet

femalegannet Report 18 Mar 2008 16:35

william edwards was born in 1840.
I think the ship he travelled on was either City of Paris (arrived may 1869) or Batavia (nov 1870).
He fathered elizabeth who travelled with mary as a infant. The 1881 cencus says she was born in 1869 although I haven't confirmed the date yet.

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Mar 2008 06:29

The railroad reached Carbon Co Wyo.T. abt 7/1868, so the facts don't exclude Wyoming. However, I'm even more convinced that PA is a better bet.

femalegannet

femalegannet Report 19 Mar 2008 10:43

is there anyway of finding out when/how Mary returned? Is there a list of ships back to liverpool?
I know mary was back by dec 1979.
I hope she didn't travel pregnant.I still can't believe she travelled with an infant! It bad enough doing 8 hours on a virgin flight!