Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Conan

Conan Report 5 Mar 2008 22:06

Does anyone know if Hot Matches works both ways simultaneously ?

By that, I mean if someone suddenly compiles a tree that has over 20 entries corresponding to entries in my existing tree, will I be the one who is alerted first, or will we both be alerted at the same time, or will I be the only one alerted because my tree was on the site first ?

Thelma

Thelma Report 5 Mar 2008 22:24

Somewhere hidden in the site I think they ration hot matches to 100 a time.
So someone with a small tree will get all their matches.Someone with a large tree will never get them all.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
PS
Hot Matches looks at each individual in your tree, then it goes through the database and brings back to first 100 matches with these people. This page will refresh approximately every 14 days bringing you the next 100 matches, as long as there names to be matched. We set the limit to 100 matches as any more can be quite overwhelming. The Hot Matches page will show an exact name and year of birth match.

Conan

Conan Report 5 Mar 2008 22:34

Thank you Jim,

That goes some way to addressing a problem that is currently perplexing me.

K

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 5 Mar 2008 22:44

Keith this is from GR

Hot matches looks at each individual in your tree, then it goes through the
database and brings back to first 100 matches with these people. This page
will refresh every 14 days bringing you the next 100 matches. If you have a
large tree then it is more than likely that the first 100 matches will only
equal the first letter of the alphabet. We set the limit to 100 matches as
any more can be quite overwhelming.

I've been talking to someone for a over a year & they still haven't appeared in my hotmatches!

Conan

Conan Report 5 Mar 2008 23:16

Thank you Claire that is most interesting, particularly your last sentence.

I have to go now as I have to be up early in the morning, but perhaps, when I have better time, I can throw my problem open for comment.

K

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 6 Mar 2008 07:48

My new batch of hot matches arrived yesterday. About half were with members I am already in contact with through Hot Matches, and have been for some time. There were some probables plus a few more were way off target. The rest, all irrelevant, were with names that had only been put onto my tree a few hours previously.