Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding an address in 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jay

Jay Report 6 Mar 2008 17:04

Some time ago on the 1901 census I found the family who were living in my daughter`s house at that time but now I `ve no idea how I managed to find the address without first knowing their name.
Can SKS please jog my failing memory.
Jay

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2008 17:14

1901 can be searched be address on National Archives but it costs to view the result.

Unless you have researched a house address back 100 years how do you know it is the same place.

Maureen

Jay

Jay Report 6 Mar 2008 17:21

Thanks Maureen
,I know I didn`t do it through National Archives.
The house was built in 1885 and has a commemorative stone lintel on the stone terrace.
Jay

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2008 17:27

It can be done on Ancestry but takes ages.

Click on 1901 census and scroll down to county. Select the county and then the town (reg dist) and you will then find the ED list. Depending on the town/city it could be dozens of ED's.

You then need to look at the ED's description to find which one has the road listed and then you can view the images.

Maureen

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Mar 2008 17:40

If you're lucky, you can sometimes trace forward from 1881.

1881 can be searched at Ancestry by address. Find the household at the address, and view the image. Go ahead and back a page or two. Try to find a family that looks like it might have stayed put to the next census. Not too old, with young children maybe. Or maybe middle-aged empty nesters.

Or search the address in 1881 without the house number, and go through the list of names on the street, doing the same.

Then search in 1891 for a neighbouring household. If you find one that looks like it might be in the same place, view the image to see who's at the number you're after.

Then try tracing a household forward to 1901 -- the one at that address, or a neighbouring one.

I almost always manage to find what I'm looking for that way, but it can be time-consuming! But it can be a little quicker than reading the ED descriptions, which is the other option described, depending on the place, as noted.

Much easier to buy a minimum of credits at the Archives site and just view the record for the address. ;)

Alison

Alison Report 7 Mar 2008 09:32

You can look up by address on 1901censusonline.com but you have to buy credits to view the image. Minimum spend for credits is £5 and they last for a month.