Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal College Of Surgeons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 6 Mar 2008 21:03

Can anyone help. I am trying to find John William Henshaw - Surgeon M.R.C.S Eng. He was deceased by 1870 but had a son Born in Plymouth 1847. This is all I know about him. Can anyone advise where I can locate records for this period for The Royal College of Surgeons.

Graham

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Mar 2008 21:19

There is an address on this page. Someone there may be able to help you:-

http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/library/services/familyresearch.html

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Mar 2008 00:19

Have you traced him on the censuses??

sylvia

Graham

Graham Report 7 Mar 2008 20:19

Hi Thanks for responding.
I tried the web page but seems not likely they will hold records only if he was an FRCS.

No trace on 1851 or 1861 census for either John William or Charles.

Charles moved to Salford and married. He set up a business Henshaw & Loebell, Musical instrument manufacturers and improters. I have found Charles on 1871, 1881 but no trace of his birth. My Gt Grandfather Augustus who was born in London probably worked for him as he was a piano tuner but like Charles I can find no trace prior to 1871. Interestingly Augustus's father was a John Henshaw who was a druggist.

Back to the drawing board. This wall seems to be getting bigger

Thanks again

Graham

Brian

Brian Report 7 Mar 2008 20:36

Hello Graham.
I would start with the birth cert for the son ,which should give their address and then search from there.
Have you actually written to the Royal Colledge of Surgeons.
My ggggranfather was a surgeon in Swanage and I had a hard time getting info on him
Brian

Angela

Angela Report 7 Mar 2008 20:38

Google 'Medical Register' for the address of the GMC. Someone may be able to help you trace him through the Medical Register which will give information about him every year from first registration until he either came off the Register or died. Angela

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Mar 2008 20:47

so can anyone on here help, and maybe break down the brick wall?

Was Charles the son of John William, born in Plymouth in 1847??

How do you know John William had a son born at that time??

Could John William have been in the navy??

sylvia

Graham

Graham Report 8 Mar 2008 15:42

Thanks for replying

There is no record of the birth for Charles so no birth certificate. Charles married in Salford Jan 1870 fathers name John William Henshaw Deceased Surgeon. The 1871;1881, state Charles born Plymouth but there is no listing for Charles in 1851 (when he would have been 4) in plymouth and no listing in 1861. Likewise there is no listing for John William in 1851 or 1861. John William would have died prior to 1871. So far I have not found the death for John William. What I am trying to do is find Charles living with his family and hope to find Augustus who was born c1848 in london. They may be cousins or even brothers because Augustus's fathers name was John. I feel there is a link which is what I am trying to find.

Graham

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Mar 2008 02:36

Is it at all possible that Charles Henshaw was actually illegitimate

that he just made up the name of John William Henshaw, gave him the occupation of Surgeon, and called him deceased??

Or used the name of someone he knew as his father?

This is not at all unusual ........ but does send the descendetns off on all kinds of wild goose chases trying to find someone who doesn't exist!

Ignoring the name of the father ..... have you found any Charles Henshaws born in approximately the right year in Portsmouth or Devon? Remember that birth place might be given as a different town on different censuses, but the county usually remains the same.

sylvia

Ivy

Ivy Report 9 Mar 2008 07:08

Hi Graham,

Have a read of the info on this page.

http://www.rcgp.org.uk/default.aspx?page=93

As Angela says, if you can find him on the medical register or the medical directory, it would at least prove that there is an ancestor to be found!