Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Subscribe to Ancestry?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 7 Mar 2008 10:19

Hi

My credit units on Findmypast run out soon and reading some of the threads on here it seems like a good idea to buy an annual subscription to Ancestry.co.uk. I will of course try out the 14 day trial first but was wondering if anybody had any tips or advise.

Is it a good idea to upload your tree to Ancestry and is it like GR where you only give permission for contacts to see your tree. Also is your email address hidden from any enquiries you make.

These are just a few questions that pop in to my mind.

Sylvia

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 7 Mar 2008 10:46

For research, IMHO, Ancestry is the most important tool available on the internet. I cannot see how anyone can research without it, either as a subscription or by using their local library or records office facility.

I personally dont upload any 'tree' details and limit my use of it to my own research, as I have found from experience that a huge number of 'trees' are totally unreliable and owe more to wishful thinking and guesswork than to real research. But that is just my opinion :-)

Ian

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 7 Mar 2008 10:49

I suppose you shoulld be aware you dont get Aus,Us or Canada on basic membership although you can search most trees. Take the free offer then enlist but dont pay make as if to withdraw and then they offer a cheaper price. you will soon get fed up with not being able to see everything with the free service
Ancestry when it works is good but does grind exceedingly slow at times, but in all worth the money

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Mar 2008 10:49

I couldn't function without Ancestry for resarch, but I would be wary about adding a 'tree'. I think you are more likely to get valid contacts through GR.

Reg

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 7 Mar 2008 11:00

Thanks everyone for the advise. Ancestry are doing a 20% discount at the moment making a total of £63.96, which is still a lot of money, so I want to make sure it is the right thing to do before I pay out.

Maybe I won't load my tree up just yet - see how things go.

Thanks again.

Sylvia

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 7 Mar 2008 11:14

You can load your tree and make it private so people can't take information. Your ancestors will display on a search but other people have to contact you via ancestry for further information.

Christine

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 7 Mar 2008 11:48

Thanks Christine that's good to know.

Sylvia

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 7 Mar 2008 12:11

Like Reg I couldn't manage without my Ancestry, to me doing without is like trying to play golf without clubs!
I know £63.96 sounds like a lot of money but this equates to £1.23 a week

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 7 Mar 2008 12:15

Thanks Gillian that was one of my worries that my email address would be seen. On a web-site years ago (can’t remember which one) if you make enquiry or put a message on the board your email address was displayed for everybody to see.

Many thanks again.

Sylvia

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 7 Mar 2008 18:13

I have subscription for GR, Ancestry and explorer package for findmypast - i prefer the census records on ancestry as they are easier to find, but prefer the bmd records on findmypast

stephanie