Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Mar 2008 13:47

I have worked on my mothers side of the tree for the last year, which was quite easy to start as we had family documents dating back to 1850, and with help from people on GR have gone back to 1666. I've enjoyed some wonderful visits to Wales to visit the old houses, farms and graveyards.

I am now trying to search my fathers side of the tree and struggling.

I have my great grandfathers death certificate, which shows that he died in 1962, his age and full name. I have looked on birth records and can find an entry for the correct name and year of birth, but I cannot trace him in the census of 1901 or 1891.

I will send for the birth certificate but how do I know that this is the correct certificate

Can anyone help?

Details John Joseph Emmerson died 10.08.1962 aged 76 years
died in Manchester.
Birth register Oct Nov Dec 1885 John Joseph Emmerson
Warrington Vol 8c page 220

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Lynn

Potty

Potty Report 8 Mar 2008 14:00

Do you know his parents' first names?

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 8 Mar 2008 14:05

do you have a marriage for him?

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Mar 2008 14:24

Thanks for replying I appreciate it
The only information I have is that his son was called Albert, who was my grandfather, and that the informant on his death certificate is M Jones daughter.
I dont know his wifes name as my dad just knew them as Nana and Grandad!!!! I unfortunately dont know how many children he had or his parents names.
I didnt even know John Josephs name until an uncle found the death certificate in his family box.

All I have to go on is the death certificate

Penny

Penny Report 8 Mar 2008 14:31

ok, so you have to come back a generation, find one of their childrens births, cert tells mothers mainden name.
then you can find the marriage of the parents and from that cert, find fathers names.

Dea

Dea Report 8 Mar 2008 14:33

When was your grandfather (Albert) born?

Dea x

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Mar 2008 14:40

Thankyou so much,

Albert was born approx 1910-1912,
apparently in Manchester
so I will search this now and then send for his birth certificate first.

Thankyou, I am having one of those blank mind days, just finished a 24hr shift in Childrens residential home and need to do this to switch of from work.

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 8 Mar 2008 15:23

birth for albert emmerson manchester 1910
8d 218

Dea

Dea Report 8 Mar 2008 15:25

Can't find any later siblings for Albert - do you know if he had any?

Dea x

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Mar 2008 16:11

Thanks Dea and Rose Tea,
Will send for certificate on monday.
Not sure if he had any siblings, my dad and his brother remember an uncle Joe who they think was alberts brother.
lynn