Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 8 Mar 2008 16:01

Ive just bought my first death certs, what can i expect to see on them? They are an english cert from 1917. the deaths were of a husband and wife they died within 24hrs of each other aged 87 and 90, so we are intrigued with what happened. Im just wondering what the certs will bring to my tree. maybe im slightly naive but like isaid ive never seen one before.
regards
catherine

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 8 Mar 2008 16:05

In 1917 there are 9 columns with the following headings (these did change over the years there are now 11 sections)
No.
1 When & where died
2 Name and Surname
3 Sex
4 Age
5 Occupation
6 Cause of death
7 Signature description and residence of informant
8 When registered
9 Signature of registrar

MB

Alison

Alison Report 8 Mar 2008 16:05

You've got date and place of death, name and surname, sex and age, occupation, cause of death, signature and description and residence of informant (very useful, sometimes it's a daughter who's got married so you know her maiden name), date when registered and the signature of the registrar.

Alison

Alison Report 8 Mar 2008 16:06

Sorry not daughter's maiden name, married name I mean!!!

Catherine

Catherine Report 8 Mar 2008 16:10

Thanx guys, im so intrigued by the cause of deaths..although its proberly some medical spiel...wont just say car crash or died of a broken heart.

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 8 Mar 2008 16:15

DCs have to give (in normal circumatances) two causes of death.

One could well be influenza - there was an epidemic at that time. An the other could be Bronchitis.

Very unlikely to the car crash - it was 1917 LOL ??

MB

Catherine

Catherine Report 8 Mar 2008 16:24

haha wishful thinking, im being a old romantic and thinking he died of a broken heart. Do we know why they have to put 2 causes of deaths??

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 8 Mar 2008 16:44

It think its a legal requirement

Catherine

Catherine Report 8 Mar 2008 16:48

never understand our legal system....but thanks for the info mummy bear.

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 8 Mar 2008 17:17

Death certificates give (as numbered)
I(a) Immediate cause of death
I(b) underlying condition leading to above (if any)
I(c) underlying condition leading to 1(b) (if any)

II any other conditions contributing to death but not resulting in 1(a)

For example I have one person died of a brain tumour - I(a) and nothing else
Another died of a stroke I(a) which his high blood pressure lead to I(b)
A third died of heart failure I(a) which his heart disease lead to I(b) and he was also suffering from prostate cancer II

Andy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2008 17:25

I have plenty of death certificates which only give one cause of death, so two causes can't have been a legal requirement.

Kath. x

Catherine

Catherine Report 8 Mar 2008 17:38

oooo i see, thanx for that Andy i will no doubt be on here asking for people to dechipher it all for me.
so for example say they died in a fire...will it say some fancy term or will it say some fancy term and (smoke inhalation) etc.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 8 Mar 2008 17:57

You might like to have a look at Barbara Dixon's very useful tutorial for Birth, Marriage and Death certificates.

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Chris