Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I look now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 10 Mar 2008 11:01

Hi there,

My question is:

what is the next step after exhausting the public records online?

I have traced all I think I can using the various sites and have dozens of census records.

But there is one man in particular that I'm trying to track down, but he was born in 1901. I have the census record for his family but I want to trace what happened to him after this.

Where do I go for that sort of information? I'm a bit stumped now.

Thanks in advance for any tips you could give me.

Paul

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 Mar 2008 11:04

why dont you put his details on here and see if anyone else can find him by going through marriage entries etc

stephanie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Mar 2008 11:05

ER's and bmd's are the only way to find info after 1901.......unless you have an exact address, in which case you can apply for the image of the 1911 census.......it will cost £45.00

The ER will not help you before 1922.... and even then, you'll need the address.

Have you checked freebmd.........the site covers up to around 1925 in many instances............

Reg

Paul

Paul Report 10 Mar 2008 11:10

Hi, thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

This is the information I have on this chap, I do know a bit about him, he's my grandad but left my grandma around 1930, it's really from this point that I need to trace him.

George Powell Ashton:

Born 1900 in Saddleworth, Lancs.

Brother to Ada Ashton, Alice Ashton, Charlie J Ashton, Susannah Ashton & Harry Ashton.

Son to George and Ada Ashton

He married in the early 20's to a lady called Kate Laney. He had a child in 1925 with Kate called Kenneth.

They divorced early-mid 30's.

He disappeared at this point never to be seen again but is thought to have stayed in the area (which is Bradford, W.Yorks).

Thanks again for anything anyone might know or any tips on what to do........

Paul

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Mar 2008 11:12

It seems you already know a lot about him after 1901.................

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Mar 2008 11:14

No death recorded during the period 1984-2005

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 Mar 2008 11:15

the only thing i can suggest is that you trawl the marriage, death entries from 1930 onwards - if you live in the area, you could try asking people

stephanie

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 Mar 2008 11:23

i've looked 1973-1983 and no george powell ashton death recorded, i'll go back another 10 or so years, i have a few minutes to spare

stephanie

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 Mar 2008 11:30

1962-1972 no george powell or george p ashton death registered

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 Mar 2008 11:31

thats 1962 -2005 searched for you, will leave you look further back

the only problem you may encounter is that whoever registered his death may have only registered under his first name george and there are lots and lots of those
good luck

stephanie

Paul

Paul Report 10 Mar 2008 11:44

Stephanie,

Many thanks for taking the time to look. I'll keep searching!

Paul