Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 service records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 10 Mar 2008 15:16

Hello all,

Where would I begin to look for any service history for Harry Peace, born June 1882 in Leeds.

Thanks,Andy :-)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 10 Mar 2008 15:27

Hi Andy

i found this 1

Harry Peace c1881 of 2 balm green,barkerpool ,sheffield. 6ft 2 in scar over right eyebrow .next of kin polly thompson (sister) of kings farm street sheffield. a carter by trade.

most were destoyed in ww2 unless they were medically retired .

regards
lizz

Barbara

Barbara Report 10 Mar 2008 15:31

Hi Lizz
Where did you find the info as I'm looking for service records from the 19th century.
Barbara

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 10 Mar 2008 15:37

Andy

these are discharge papers on ancestry .Not sure if he is yours but need to verify with next of kin etc.

regards
lizz

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Mar 2008 15:40

Barbara

When, in the 19th century?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 10 Mar 2008 15:43

Barbara

forgive me sorry forgot to replty to you.

these are infact pension records of military.the above harry peace service number was 5412.
he was discharged at the age of 50 years and 253 days by the medical board for deformatues of the toes.he was in the 7th east yorkshires.

regards
lizz

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Mar 2008 15:46

If this isn't your Harry, then his records could still be at the National Archives. They will eventually appear on Ancestry, but don't know when. It is not true that most records were destroyed unless medically retired. Lots of records were destroyed, but there are plenty surviving for those who did not recieve a pension, and for those killed, just as there are lots missing for those who recieved a pension.. Still a small chance of finding your man, though, as so many were lost.

Andy

Andy Report 10 Mar 2008 15:53

Thanks for looking Elizabeth,

That isn't him from Sheffield. Also, I have tried looking on the National Archives website but haven't found anything useful.

I wondered if there were an archive office attached to the military that specifically looks after old soldier military records.

andy

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Mar 2008 16:01

Andy

His records, if they survive, will only be at Kew. Not online. You'd have to go there, or get someone to go there for you. Or wait until they appear on Ancestry.

If you know his regiment, although you haven't mentioned it, so perhaps you don't, the Regimental Museum for that regiment may hold a little info on him, but not his service records.

Andy

Andy Report 10 Mar 2008 16:19

Thanks Ann,

I'll not be able to get to Kew anytime soon. I'll see if I can get someone to do a lookup for me from the records office board.
Thanks,
Andy