Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marylyn

Marylyn Report 10 Mar 2008 20:52

I think I am going round in circles and hope someone out there can help. I am trying to trace a death certificate for my father-in-laws brother - Ronald Bristow. He died 22/09/1940 aged 15 when an Indian ship he was on (SS City of Simla) was torpedoed off the Scottish coast. I can't get a death cert from the Registry as he was on board an Indian ship, they suggested the Indian Embassy. The Indian Embassy asked if he was buried in India, answer no so no luck there. Scottish Registry will only have issued a certificate if he died in Scotland (the sea doesn't count). Can anyone help or suggest where else I can try. Ronalds death must have been registered somewhere and I would love to get a copy of his death certificate. Any help gratefully received

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 10 Mar 2008 20:58

Here is on CWWG site, unfortunately I don't think his death cert would tell you much anyway

Name: BRISTOW, RONALD GEORGE
Initials: R G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead
Secondary Regiment: Service Dependant
Date of Death: 21/09/1940
Additional information: Son of Lt.-Col. Ronald Bristow, Indian Army Ordnance Corps, and Margaret Bristow.
Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead
Reporting Authority: S.S. "CITY OF SIMLA"

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Mar 2008 21:01

There's this on the Commonwealth War Graves site:

Name: BRISTOW, RONALD GEORGE
Initials: R G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead
Secondary Regiment: Service Dependant
Date of Death: 21/09/1940
Additional information: Son of Lt.-Col. Ronald Bristow, Indian Army Ordnance Corps, and Margaret Bristow.
Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead
Reporting Authority: S.S. "CITY OF SIMLA"