Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't upload my gedcom to GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Mar 2008 10:29

I keep getting an error when I try to upload my gedcopm file to GR. Same FamilyHistorian version (latest) I got this reply from GR anyone know how I can check that it's gedcom5.5 and ANSI.......
Please can you also try exporting your gedcom again from your family tree software? It must be exported as a gedcom 5.5 with the character set ANSI. You can then try to load the new version of your file to the site again.........
I've had no problem uploading from FH before and it's the same programme I've used for a couple of years on GR.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 14 Mar 2008 10:37

When I export from FTM it comes up that it will be a file type gedcom 5.5 ANSI but I don't know how you check what type it is once it has been exported.

Christine

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Mar 2008 10:50

Thanks. Family Historian just saves it as a gedcom and I can't find anywhere to check if it's ANSI but I should think it is as nothing has been changed and I've never had a problem uploading from FH to GR before. I've posted on FH site as well but so far no replies! :-(

Ron

Ron Report 14 Mar 2008 11:15

Family Historian saves a gedcom as 5.5 in ANSI format by default.

Family Historian is probably the most gedcom compliant program around, it's gedcom exceeds 5.5 standard.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Mar 2008 11:32

Thanks, that is what I thought as I have never had problems until yesterday. Goodness knows what's happened but I still can't upload it. I ended up downloading my sons old GR tree and updated that on FH and uploaded it after saving it on FH with no problem. Just hope that I've added everything and not missed something out!!