Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Plea for Use of TRYING TO FIND...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marlene

Marlene Report 15 Mar 2008 08:49

Kia Ora all
Greetings from New Zealand!
This is a plea to ask all to check Trying to Find regularly for your surnames.
From the 1860s onwards tens of thousands of English, Irish and Scots left their homelands to settle in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa not to mention the USA.

I have tracked the families of my grandparents backwards from 1878 fairly easily but going forwards to find out what happened to the parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and the cousins is a nightmare as after WW1 families scattered!

As I have tracked each new family I have put a notice on Trying to Find. Years later and not one reply! As I have certificates Hot Matches don't work as I have the correct dates and locations on my GR Tree which often don't match censuses. Not many people bother to check Free BMD before uploading their Tree.Naturally many people haven't put LIVING PERSONS on their GR tree!

I have made contact with family by other sources. 0/12 had any idea one of their family members had emigrated as contact was lost -certainly in WW1.

PLEASE take the time to have a look on a regular basis - family is waiting to meet you!
Thanks
Marlene In the South Pacific
WARD, STEPHENS, EDGEWORTH, REEVES, HODGKISS, BYRNE Aston
FAIRY Birmingham
WEBB, FLETCHER, Handsworth
FAIRY, TREWIN, VINALL, PLAMPIN, BURGESS, London
SCOTNEY Hunts
COOPER, FAREY, GELL, WILDMAN, STAPLETON, ROOTHAM, Bedfordshire
to name but a few!