Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

late and formerly on certs?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 15 Mar 2008 15:28

I just got a birth cert for an 1866 birth, the mother is listed as Esther, late Carter formerly Emmerson.
Which is the maiden name and which the previous married name - I know I know the answer but I's a bit thick today and have a headache to boot!!
Thanks
Carol

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 15 Mar 2008 15:34

Hi Carol

I have a cert like this too and I was lead to belive that her maiden name would be Emmerson, and that Carter was a previous married name.

Tracie.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Mar 2008 15:39

My understanding is that the word formerly would indicate the maiden name, so in your case it is Emmerson

Roy

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Mar 2008 16:38

I checked Free BMD for an Esther Emmerson marrying a Carter and there was one in Durham in 1851. He was Henry Carter. Possible?

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 15 Mar 2008 19:16

That's what I thought, spot on Margaret thankyou and thanks everyone