Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

VIRTUAL MEMORY LOW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Just Jill x

Just Jill x Report 15 Mar 2008 15:47

For some time now I have been getting the message that the virtual memory is too low and that "Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file"
I don't really understand what this means and what can I do about it please??
Have to go but if anyone can help I'll look in tomorrow.
Thank you.
Jill
x

leesle

leesle Report 15 Mar 2008 16:07

I get the same message every few days then it updates it itself.
I delete all the unimportant emails yet still get it. would too be interested to know more

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 15 Mar 2008 16:23

If you both go to the microsoft site, it will tell you, clearer then I can, how to deal with this according to your os

Alistair

Alistair Report 15 Mar 2008 19:03

Try downloading and running ccleaner.com to clear out some useless files.

Alistair

Carol

Carol Report 15 Mar 2008 20:57

Be carefull about deleting files unless you know what you are doing.

Virtual memory is managed by Windows and it's best left to sort itself out. There are numerous reasons why this message may appear and there's no cause for alarm if it appears on your screen.

Carol
www.genealogyprinters.com

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 15 Mar 2008 23:01

It is a good idea to do a disc cleanup every few days to remove temporary internet files.

From time to time when I do a backup I take off files that I don't use very often and put them on a disc instead.

Then doing a defrag helps.

Sue

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Mar 2008 07:18

Virtual memory should be already set to 1.5 times physical memory - it can be increased but there is little point unless you are running memory hungry programs programs which require it to be changed. This is an area that you are best not to mess with settings mess with settings unless you know what you are doing.

Defragging your disk and clearing temp files will have no affect on memory either but they affect your hard disk performance, and should still be done regularly.

Windows should manage memory according to the the requirements of the programs you are running, but unfortunately it does not always free it up immediately and you can get a message that you are low, even if there is plenty to spare.

If you have lots of programs running try shutting down those you don't need. Programs such as excel and large word documents take up memory

There are free programs such as Cache Manager which will run in the background and manage it better than windows can, but often shutting down your computer completely and switching it off for a minute or so will free up memory which is no longer required.

In fact many IT technicians suggest you should do a complete shutdown and restart every month or so.

Just Jill x

Just Jill x Report 16 Mar 2008 11:15

Thank you all for your comments especially Carol. I think it's best left alone as I'm no IT buff!!!! I do a regular defrag so if there's no cause for alarm I'll leave it like that.
Thanks again
Jill
x