Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Going further back?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 15 Mar 2008 21:34

So far I have found a relative in 1785 but unable to get to 1760 .
Can anyone tell me why pls ?

GALA

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 15 Mar 2008 22:00

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Where have you found the relative, and what are you looking for?

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 15 Mar 2008 22:08

I found my grt,grt,grt grandfather thomas Henshaw ..London, Middlesex : 1785 but I can't find his father on Ancestry site ,
I hope you can follow this ...sorry Mary

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 15 Mar 2008 22:16

Mary : I can only get as far as 1841 census as there's no 1831 ...

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 15 Mar 2008 22:50

Not everything is on Ancestry or even online anywhere.

There comes a time when you may have to do research in records offices.

Sue

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 15 Mar 2008 23:02

Hi Gala, You have done well to get this far and now you will need to search parish records looking for his birth. That will give you his parents (or sometimes only the father will be listed). Wills can be useful too. I was able to trace back to 1625 from the 1841 census, so donĀ“t be discouraged, and there are lots of people on here, (more experienced than I am) who can give you lots of tips on how to do it. Good luck.

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 16 Mar 2008 09:26

Run a search on Thomas Henshaw, England on Family Search (www.familysearch.org). If you then select the IGI files, you will be able to refine the search to Middlesex and a suitable time period. There may be information there for you.

bol

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 16 Mar 2008 18:31

Hi bol,
I tried the IGI files and there was no results.
Thanks for the tip .
GALA

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 16 Mar 2008 18:37

Hi Chica in the sun,
How would I look for the parish records if I don't actually know where he was born.?
You have done really well to get to 1625, WOW !
It is hard doing the family research as i only started doing it last year .
Thanks .
GALA

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 16 Mar 2008 19:17

You haven't made it very clear if you have found Thomas Henshaw's marriage or estimated his birth as 1785.

In which part of London did you find his record?

There is a Thos.Henshaw baptised 01 JAN 1753 Saint George In The East, Stepney, London
That one is the son of a Will. and Mary Henshaw.

There is also a Thomas baptised 21 APR 1765 All Hallows The Less, London, London, England
He is the son of Daniel and Sarah

There may be others.

What else do you know about your Thomas?
Where was he married and to whom? Do you know his occupation? Look carefully at his choice of names for his children. Are any perhaps likely to be named after grandparents?

At this stage you need to collect any useful information you can find about possible members of the family. It is worth saving ones who may turn out to be cousins or other relations.

Sue

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 16 Mar 2008 20:52

Hi Sue,
I am hopeless doing this family research :-(
I normally get a bit of help from both my sons but they live in Berkshire and I live in Scotland.

I actually found him on ancestry saying he was born in London Middlesex in 1785 , married to Ellen ( surname not known yet ) of Neston ,Cheshire, they had 7 children and he was a shoe maker , That is all I know .I have a copy of it .

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 16 Mar 2008 20:58

Sue , The children were called
Ann;b 1816
Thomas;b 1819
Elisabeth;b 1820 --notice the S in her name.
Rebeccah;b 1827
William;b 1828...he later moved to Burnley,
Cathrine;b 1832.
Sarah; b 1834

George; b ???
Mary;b ???

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 16 Mar 2008 21:52

It looks as though the children were born in Neston, Cheshire, and Thomas and Ellen were presumably married there. According to the Hugh Wallis site, Neston records aren't on the IGI yet, apart from some 17th-century marriages.

See if you can find anything on the Cheshire Parish Registers site:

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

I've had a very quick look, and some of the children's baptisms seem to be there.

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 16 Mar 2008 23:49

Hi Mary ,
I went on the site you told me to look up and I did find it very interesting also I found there was 2 more children but I couldn't find Thomas & Ellen's marriage, I really couldn't follow the dates and age numbers.
Thank you for your help Mary .

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 17 Mar 2008 08:25

As it explains on the site, you have to add a 1 onto the beginning of the number to get the date, e.g. 8190520 means 20th May 1819.

Did you notice that William wasn't their child? Don't forget that the 1841 census doesn't show relationships, and it was fairly clear that he wasn't theirs because his name was shown after all the other children. He was the illegitimate son of a Mary Henshaw, who was presumably a relation of theirs.

If the marriage isn't there, they were presumably married somewhere else, which is a pity.

When was the first child born? The only likely marriage I can see on the IGI is in Liverpool in 1809, but the IGI isn't complete.

Ceefer

Ceefer Report 17 Mar 2008 17:09

Hi Mary , Ah ! now then , about the numbers , it seem that they are back to front like the americans ,
The first child Anne was born 1819 , William was born 1829. I did noticed about William being an illegitimate son of Mary Henshaw so Henry & Ellen are not my ancestors after all ??.
I wonder if Henry & Ellen were married in London , Middlesex .?

I had a really good look at the Cheshire Parish database ...Mary was the 1st born in 1810 , so I think William was her child as she would have been 18 yrs old.