Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Researching Indian roots

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katrinna

Katrinna Report 16 Mar 2008 20:40

My GGG grandmother was born in India and was not a British subject. She was adopted by Sarah Cross and lived in Chiswick. She appears first on the 1871 census as do her brother and sister who were both born in Madras. I have found a Genesreunited member who is a decendant of her brother but he is also stumped. There are rumours in his family that the father was married to a princess who died of a snake bite.

Does anyone have any tips on how we research the Indian side of the family. The national archives do not hold anything as they only hold records on British subjects born in India.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Kat

Katrinna

Katrinna Report 17 Mar 2008 09:50

Thanks but i have tried that one, the British Library only hold records for British subjects born in India.