Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you arrive at the details:

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 16 Mar 2008 21:22

My research has given me various addresses and occupations for my rellies but what I would like to know is how people arrive at the complete lifestyle and detail.
I.E. I know my Joe Bloggs was born in Middx. area, 10yrs later lives Surrey, 10 yrs later is back in Miidx and is a carpenter but then when he gets married he's a greengrocer etc. etc. so how can I detail his life more clearly?? My lot seems completely uninteresting because of the lack of it, is a lot of it just assumptions?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 16 Mar 2008 21:28

This is where local libraries come in handy old photos of shops etc we have a local museum where people donate the memorabilia and it has formed a really interesting piture of the village over a hundred years or more.

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 16 Mar 2008 21:28

This, for me, is th emost interesting part.

Wills, newspaper archives, poor law records, poll and tax books, medical records, employment records, school records, manorial records, parish records, clubs, teams, electoral roles - just use your imagination and go looking.

Haunt your records office - this stuff isnt online!

Ian

Linda

Linda Report 16 Mar 2008 21:31

I don't live in the same area that my rellies came from so does that mean I've no other options?

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 16 Mar 2008 21:35

Well, this is always a problem. You can accept that all you can do is use online resources, or you can pay a researcher............but in my view that defeats the object of the exercise.

Personally, I would make the time to go to the relevant records office, even if it means a long journey and maybe staying overnight (or longer!). The rewards are great.

Whatever, there is no cheap way of doing it, so you really have to make your own choice.

Ian

Andrew

Andrew Report 16 Mar 2008 21:42

One thing that helped me was to talk to elderly relatives. If you prompt with names, places or pictures its amazing how much people remember.

Andy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Mar 2008 21:52

Someone with the occupation of greengrocer might be listed in trade directories

Linda

Linda Report 16 Mar 2008 23:08

Andrew - Unfortunately, I don't have any elderly relatives, I have found a cousin through GR her mother and my father were brother and sister, her mother died aged 34 and my father aged 38, we are trying together to find the family history.

Glitter - I only used greengrocer as an example.

Ian - Looks like I'm going to have to get organised and take a few weekly breaks.

Thanks everyone.