Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Army conundrum!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 17 Mar 2008 12:37

Hi all,

I have a relative, John Barry b.1888 Painswick, Gloucester and d.1918 in France, (WWI). Now I have plenty of info on him, parents, siblings etc, but on a recent visit to the war memorial in Thurston, Suffolk (where the family lived) it says: "Pte John Barry, MCC"

Anyone have any idea what the "MCC" might stand for? I know that MC = Military Cross, but everyone else on the memorial has their regiment next to their name. I would've thought he'd have been in the Suffolk Regiment as that's where the family settled and where the rest of the family are from.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers!
Heidi

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 17 Mar 2008 13:45

Motor cycle corps?

Or could it possibly be MGC....Machine Gun Corps?

Ian

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 17 Mar 2008 13:51

Husband of Gertrude Annie Barry, of Brooke Lane, Preston, Lavenham, Suffolk.

Is this him?

If so, he was Machine Gun Corps

Ian

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 17 Mar 2008 16:18

Thanks for that Ian :o)

I'll check out the Gertrude Annie Barry thing, don't know where you got that from, but if it was the census, I'm afraid that's the wrong one.

He was still living with his parents, Gerald & Lizzie in 1901 in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

I'm going to try to zoom on the photo of the war memorial now, to see if it could be MGC.

Thanks again Ian - you're a star!

Best wishes
Heidi

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Mar 2008 16:27

There is a large gap between 1901 and 1918
marriage
Gertrude A Hollocks 1914 Oct-Nov-Dec Barry Cosford Suffolk

John Barry

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 17 Mar 2008 16:36

Thanks Jim,

I'm aware of the gap, just wondered where the name Gertrude Annie came from, as I hadn't looked for a marriage (yet).

I was wondering if the info might've come from the 1901 census in which he lived with his SISTER Gertrude (my great grandmother) that's all.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Regards
Heidi

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Mar 2008 16:40

CWGC
BARRY, J Private 16713 22/01/1918 29 Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) United Kingdom VIII. D. 29. ROCQUIGNY-EQUANCOURT ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY,
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Name: BARRY
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
Unit Text: 51st Coy.
Date of Death: 22/01/1918
Service No: 16713
Additional information: Husband of Gertrude Annie Barry, of Brooke Lane, Preston, Lavenham, Suffolk.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. D. 29.
Cemetery: ROCQUIGNY-EQUANCOURT ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, MANANCOURT

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 17 Mar 2008 16:50

That's wonderful! Thanks again Jim :o)

Best wishes
Heidi

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 17 Mar 2008 17:21

The info came from the CWGC, not the census :-)

Ian