Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hutchinson wedding puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ashley

Ashley Report 19 Mar 2008 12:28

I have a GG uncle called Squire Hutchinson (b 1874 Pendleton, Salford) (son of John Hutchinson) who married an Amy Hatcher (daughter of George Hatcher) in 1903.

I have certificate and the witness (Best man???) is Walter Hutchinson. Walter (b1881 or 1882) could be a brother or cousin but I cannot find him on any census. I know his age though because in 1914 he married Amy Hatcher (spinster) in the same borough of Weaste, Salford. The father's names are the same on both certificates and Amy's age is also correct.

I know Squire went to the USA in 1906 and that Amy and their two children went out a month later to join him. They appear on the Philadelphia census 1910.
Walter went to visit Squire Hutchinson in 1912.

Did Squire die? Did they divorce? Why does Amy appear as a spinster? Why can't I find either Squire, Walter or their father John on the 1891 census but I can find Squire's sister Ada (my GGmother) (b1876) living with her paternal Aunt. John was a coal miner so money could not have been in great supply. How could they afford so many trips to the USA?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm stuck!

many thanks
Ashley

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 19 Mar 2008 14:23

Ashley

Just checking - have I understood correctly - both Walter and Squire Hutchinson married the same woman? Or was the Amy that married Walter a relative of the other Amy, with the same name?

Athena

Potty

Potty Report 19 Mar 2008 14:23

Do you know what Squire's mother's name?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Mar 2008 16:52

There is a possible for mother Anne on 1891 census - does look like "M" for married but living alone

Name: Ann Hutchinson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Relation: Head
Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Pendleton
Ecclesiastical parish: St George
Town: Irlam O Th Height
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Salford
Sub-registration district: Pendleton
ED, institution, or vessel: 35
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ann Hutchinson 37

Findmypast has a Squire Hutchinson age 17 listed as in Newcastle Upon Tyne registration district. If you put Pendleton in as place of birth then this one does not match.

Sorry but got no credits left on FMP to check it out.

Does father John have any middle names as FMP has a John J Hatchinson age 47 also in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Oh bother if you put birth place of Manchester then this "hit" disappears.

Maureen

Ashley

Ashley Report 19 Mar 2008 17:23

Athena

Yes it does appear that both Squire and Walter married the same Amy.

Squire's mother's name was Anne Worthington. I have him with his parents and sister in 1881 and him on his own as a boarder in 1901 unmarried. He was born and lived in Pendleton.

-----------------------
Maureen

I hadn't thought of looking for Squire's mother alone. That could be her, in 1891 but why would she be alone?
John, Squire's father was a coal hewer / coal miner and I read somewhere that those on night shift were not included in the census. Could it be the case that both of them were working nights? Squire would have been 17. I'll check Ann out and see if the street address throws any light on things.

Ashley

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Mar 2008 17:55

Ashley, on the Ellis Island site, when Squire arrived in 1906 he was asked if he'd been in the States before, he said yes, 1900, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Also in 1906 he said he was going to join friend, George Shutt, 234 Carrington Ave., Woonsockett (can't make out state)

Update, Woonsockett is Rhode Island. (I thought it looked like R.I.)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Mar 2008 18:17

That does sound like a lot of travelling for a coal miner!

Ashley

Ashley Report 19 Mar 2008 20:01

Margaret / Jim

I'd found the Ellis Island connection, although I didn't know about the trip in 1894, if it's the same person.
Jim, can you see who he was visiting?