Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Soldiers in WW1.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 20 Mar 2008 22:38

Can anyone tell me how to get more info on my gt.grandfather and grt.uncle who were both killed in WW1 ? Ihave found them on CWGC site and my grt.uncle on WW1pensions site,who incidentally joined up at 16,was discharged and then on reaching 18 joined up again,only to be killed at 19,I would love to find out more details of their service records.Any ideas of the best way to obtain in depth records PLEASE. I am new to the genealogy game,but have traced my grandads side back to 1672,now trying grandma's side and its hard.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Mar 2008 22:41

There's been a fair bit of research done on under age soldiers in WW1. I read a book about it last year and was watching a TV programme about it tonight on SKY. So I wonder if you'd be able to find info on your Gr Uncle if he was underage. Might be worth googling re under age soldiers and see if there's some sort of list somewhere.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 20 Mar 2008 22:48

June if you have an Ancestry subscription there are some records on there - if not you can post their names etc and we can check for you. Sometimes the Ancestry info is a bit sketchy and annoying as I cant find rellies who I know served but always worth a check.

June

June Report 20 Mar 2008 22:55

Thanks Jill,will try your suggestion,I too have seen several programmes re under age soldiers.My grandma lost her dad (aged 39) in 1916 when she was 13 and then lost her brother (aged 19) in 1918,when she was 15.Only now realising the tragedy she went through. My youngest uncle is as fascinated as I am and cant wait for any info I come up with.

June

June Report 20 Mar 2008 23:05

I do have access to Ancestry records,which is where I have found the info I have so far.The relatives are....James Blakeley,listed as private,service no.26496,The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 13th batt. died-21/07/1916 and John Blakeley,listed as private,service no.243447,Lancashire Fusiliers 1st.batt.died 14/04/1918.Although John originally joined at 16 with the North Staffordshire Regt.,before he was sent home after 6 months.I can only surmise he re-joined at 18.Its all a mystery to me.

Sam

Sam Report 20 Mar 2008 23:05

A heck of a lot of WWI records didn't survive so you might not find anything. Ancestry has some service records, some pension records and some medal cards.

Sam x

June

June Report 20 Mar 2008 23:13

Yes Sam,I appreciate that, I,m being a bit like my border terrier,can't let go of something when I am intrigued to find out more.I can only think that my next step would be the National Archives at Kew.I just took a chance posting here. Nothing ventured,nothing gained.June.(Lancashire lass)

Carter

Carter Report 21 Mar 2008 10:31

nudge

Charles

Charles Report 22 Mar 2008 21:47

How many WW1 service records are now available on Ancestry?

I have found some rellies there (names begining with "B") but could not find any Lewis.

The records I found were very helpful for corroborating wives/sisters/mothers ... "next of kin" as well as marriages and children.