Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 ... I have this film ...Update .

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 21 Mar 2008 22:57

I wasn,t sure where to post this but here goes .. this is recent history ..
I have been sorting out my Dads things and could do with some help on the following ..
My Dad was RAF advanced wireless in WW2 Burma . They went ahead and sent back info on the enemy positions ,,
In 1943 they came across an allied plane wreck in the jungle .... all crew where dead , but my Dad recovered a reel of film in a canister .This canister has never been opened .. would anyone be interested in developing it . I have no idea whats on it ....or if it still could be developed ......I also have a white flag with Japanese writing that was removed from the body of a Japanese soldier ...
Any idea,s please ??
Kim

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Mar 2008 22:58

Would it perhaps be an idea to contact the Imperial War Museum?

Sue

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Mar 2008 22:59

They have a contact on this page
http://www.iwm.org.uk/

Sue

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 21 Mar 2008 23:10

Thanks Sue ... I,m OK on WW1 this is a bit close to home .. its my Dad , its hard to get all the info from him but I will contact them ....think it was a reconisance plane (spl) ... As for the white flag with Japanese writing ... he took it off the body ... won,t discuss it further ... but will google ...
Kim

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 21 Mar 2008 23:22

Thanks Karen will contact them ... am now also the proud owner of a spitfire propellor ... an I,m only half way through the garage !!...
Kim

English Bob

English Bob Report 21 Mar 2008 23:23

I beg you...do not go anywhere but the IWM, do not get scammed into giving this to Local TV, historians or such...the IWM is the repository for such important WW2 history.

Bob, regards and begging

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 21 Mar 2008 23:32

Yes, absolutely - the IWM is the only place.....you only get one chance at developing a film like that - strictly for professionals. It may be possible to salvage something from it, but probably unlikely, as the silver nitrate degrades over time, but some image might be still there.

However, it is possible that, if it is a sealed can, it may be an unexposed film. Only the experts will tell you.

Ian

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 21 Mar 2008 23:48

..I promise .. the canister is not rusted .. I,m not sure why my Dad still has it .. ? Do know they where ambushed after they came across this plane and Dad spent 5 days alone in the jungle till he came across the Americans ..rest of his unit where killed .. will do as advised and will let you know what was on it ... may be nothing , but worth trying ... thankyou
Kim

Dea

Dea Report 22 Mar 2008 08:26

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although this sounds really exciting, I am also 'begging' you to do somehting, and NOW please.

What I do know is that This item could be EXTREMELY dangerous and must be handled by professional people.

As the film deteriorates it gives off dangerous gasses which are probably building up inside the can - Is is a SERIOUS hazard and can ignite !

PLEASE go to the link below and read the information leaflet

http://www.bufvc.ac.uk/faf/DangersofCNfilmLeaflet.pdf

(You will need to 'cut and paste' the above link into your browser)

Then, IMMEDIATELY contact Imperial War Museum as people have suggested. - Contact details for them are on the leaflet !!!

Sorry if I have worried you but if you read the information leaflet you will realise that it is VERY important that this is dealt with quickly and correctly.

Let me know how you get on.

Dea x

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 22 Mar 2008 10:41

Many , many thanks for the warning Dea ,it is now in safe hands !
Kim x

Dea

Dea Report 22 Mar 2008 10:43

OOOhh good - I was just going to nudge this up as I have to go out soon and was worried that you had not seen the info yet.

What did you do with it - did they come and take it away?

Dea x

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 26 Mar 2008 18:41

Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to reply . Unfortunately though still in one piece the film was blank , seems the plane may have just taken off ..
Still its solved a mystery for my Dad who has had it since 1940,s ..
PS anyone want a Spitfire propellor ? We are getting to the back of his garage ... I now have a handmade tapestry .. and framed thingy from WW1 made by maternal Grandfather showing the Worcestershire regiments campaigns going back to 1800,s .Apparently this was encouraged in the hospitals as therapy for the men wounded .
I also have 2 glass eyes in a box ..Paternal Grandads...result of Battle of the Somme ..(spares ?) who was also Worcestershire Regiment ...Oh yes .. and just to add , a hank of red hair in a box ...which was my Grandmothers ! EURRR !!!
Once again Thank You
:))))))))))
Kim xx

Dea

Dea Report 26 Mar 2008 19:24

OOOOOOOhh warning - red hair can ignite !!!

Sorry - just teasing !

Shame there was nothing on the film but pleased you put it in 'good hands' when you did.

Best wishes,

Dea x

Alan

Alan Report 27 Mar 2008 11:38

Hello Kim
About that Propeller is it a 2 blade, 3, or a 4
that would be a very good wall adornment if it is in good condition. Alan.

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 27 Mar 2008 16:11

Oh Kim

How lucky to be the owner of a spitfire propeller!

My Mum and Dad both worked on spitfires during WW2. That's how they met.

I have a smashing photo of them draped across the wing of one that was waiting to be collected from the local airfield.