Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding parents names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*~*Chris*~*

*~*Chris*~* Report 22 Mar 2008 16:03

I was wondering if any "experts" out there know how I could find out the parents of my 3x gt grandfather he was murdered in 1858 so no parents on his death cert, I can only find him on 1851 census with his wife and this makes his age a couple of years differant to his death cert!, he was married in 1848, so can't trace him through wife on 1841 census and don't know if he had any siblings all this happened in Scotland,Don,t know where to go now!! any advise would be much appriecated
Thanks Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2008 16:13

Have you looked on the IGI? You may get lucky.............

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Mar 2008 16:14

Does his marriage cert not give his father's name?

I wouldn't be too worried about the discrepancy in ages on death cert and census. It depends who registered the death (coroner probably but presumably wife identified the body and knew his age?). Census ages do vary.

Also, take into account the time span of his likely dob. If you think about the fact that his birthday may been either day before or day after the date of the census you are looking at a 2 year time span. You could also work this out on the date of death and age at death and see if you can then find a time span that agrees. If that sounds a bit puzzling then post the date of the census (was it the same as England in 1851?) and the date of death and I'll see if I can make it make sense!

The other thing, if you know the date of death - there is a link on General Board I think about newspaper archives on line - have a look in there. It may not give you parents' names but it might give you a bit more info.

Jill

*~*Chris*~*

*~*Chris*~* Report 22 Mar 2008 16:28

Thanks both of you,yes I've tried the IGI wiyh no luck and his marriage cert dosn't have any parents names on it dosn't say who identified his body on death cert. I have a full report of his murder from The TimesBut no mention of his family
Thanks again Chris

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Mar 2008 16:47

Hi Chris

How frustrating!

Do have a try at working out a timespan for his birth - that might help a bit ...

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Mar 2008 16:48

I found a record of my gr grandfather's inquest in the Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper (on that newspaper archive link). Not sure whether that would help. Or perhaps a local newspaper might be more inclined to mention immediate family?
Jill

*~*Chris*~*

*~*Chris*~* Report 22 Mar 2008 17:05

I'm pretty sure he was born between 1824 and 1827 Jill, all the newspaper reports both local and national concentrateon the murderer who was from a well known legal family and only say robert was married with 4 chilren (a 5th was born 7 months after his death), he was a lowly weaver so seems to have been of little interest to the papers!!Thanks for your interest I'll keep looking!!
Chris x

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Mar 2008 17:06

Good luck Chris - sounds a bit of a slog!

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 22 Mar 2008 17:08

Whats his name Chris maybe someone can help on here

*~*Chris*~*

*~*Chris*~* Report 22 Mar 2008 17:16

Robert Orr born Kilmarnock 1826ish married to Marion Johnston died July 1858 in Paisley
Heres hoping Debbie!!!

Chris

*~*Chris*~*

*~*Chris*~* Report 22 Mar 2008 17:19

Hi Karen I've looked at several birth and baptism records but as I have so little pre marriage history on him it's difficult to know which could be him !!
Chris