Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

parish church records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 24 Mar 2008 21:27

hi
can you recommend a good website to search my ancestors not too expensive subscriptions
thanks

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 24 Mar 2008 22:52

Many Counties have free online parish records free to veiw........just google "Online Parish Clerks" and the name of the county .

Nicky

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Mar 2008 22:52

The IGI is free

Some counties have OPC's.........google to find out if the county you need has one..........

Other than that, you would have to purchase the CD's.

Reg

David

David Report 24 Mar 2008 22:54

nicky
thank you

David

David Report 24 Mar 2008 22:54

reg
thank you

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 25 Mar 2008 09:21

David,
What parishes are you interested in?
If you go to the "Records Office" thread you will find people who hold copies of parish records on fiche or CD offerng look-ups
Depends if anyone has the particular area you are interested in!
Bet

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 25 Mar 2008 09:34

David have you also tried checking out

www.parishregisteruklook-upexchange.co.uk

Where people like me who have parish registers put their details up as we are willing to do lookups for people.

Make sure that if you are contacting someone that you explain how you have their email address - fully explain what you are looking for with as much info as possible. I get a lot of emails where people dont put what place they want the lookup from - as I have a few PRs.

Be aware that not everyone has indexed transcribed PRs so wont do blanket lookups for a surname so best to enquire what type of PR they have as some may have them on fiche, others may have transcribed books or CDs while some may have scanned images on CD - mine are a mixture of all of these (except fiche).

Also try

www.freereg.org.uk

Its an ongoing project to transcribe some parish registers - like freebmd.

x

David

David Report 25 Mar 2008 19:44

elizabeth & mrs tibbetts
thanks for the info