Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still having trouble with GRO & my credit card

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 25 Mar 2008 15:04

I am still having trouble ordering certificates on-line from GRO, it wont accept my Visa credit card. I have followed previous advice given on this board and contacted my credit card company who have confirmed there is nothing wrong with my card or my credit. Is anyone else having problems with GRO on-line and credit cards? The message on GRO suggests I try using another credit card, how many cards do they think I have? Or for that matter want?

I know I can order certificates by post, I have the certificate ref numbers, quaters etc and pay by cheque. Can anyone tell me how to set out an order? Should I send a SAE? How long does it take?

It is really frustrating because my cousin in NZ who is a whiz at the BDM look ups has sent me loads of death and marriage references and I wanted to get the certs as soon as I can so I can send her copies.

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 25 Mar 2008 15:22

Hi Deborah

What if you rang the GRO and placed your order over the phone, explaining about the difficulties you're having ordering online. I have done that once before. Since you have the refs it should still cost you the same, I think (unless they've changed their pricing).

Their phone number is on their website.

Regards - Athena

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Mar 2008 15:48

I have had trouble in the past with ordering and there's no problem with my card or credit. I have found if I log out of the site leave it for a hour or so then go back in and redo the order ,often it goes thro OK think the site gets a glitch sometimes.

Shirley

Cyprus

Cyprus Report 25 Mar 2008 18:25

Just a suggestion-is the address you are giving exactly the same as the one your credit card company has?

Deborah

Deborah Report 26 Mar 2008 18:10

Thanks All. Me in Cyprus, I tried again but no luck spoke to credit card company who suggested it could be the house number which is a problem, we a *** and next door is ***A. Athena I know I can order over the phone but if GRO does not like my credit card, I'll still have a problem. I will try again, I don't give up easily :))

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 26 Mar 2008 19:08

It's still worth phoning - sometimes the transaction goes through when you phone although it wouldn't online (don't ask me why).

I don't see where the house number comes into it, though - I've never been asked for mine when paying by card.

Deborah

Deborah Report 27 Mar 2008 19:17

Thanks Mary, I am still having problems with GRO and my crdit card, I will phone GRO tomorrow. The reason the CC company mentioned house numbers is for the billing address,.