Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

please help I'm stuck!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 25 Mar 2008 20:48

Hi there all you experts.

I wonder if anyone would give me some tips as I'm stuck....

I have a Henry Garside- He was father to my GGrandmother Alice Garside 1905. I found him on the 1901 with his wife Mary and daughert Gertrude b 1899 and I know this was him because I know my GGrandmother had a sister Gertrude. From this I can deduce he was born c1864.

There are 2 Henrys on the 1871 born in this window in salford
on the 1881 the 2 same henrys appear

on the 1891 I can rule out one (parents are james and ann) who marries an Elizabeth Whyattand has 2 children james and Esther
the only other I can find is living in Aspull (approx 10 miles away) as a widdower.My Henry marries Mary in 1891 -after the census!

in 1901 I find my Henry and the other family has vanished entirely- yes all of them!

I have ordered a death cert for who I thought might be my Henry and the dates work the address is not inconsisten (but is not one that has come up before) but the informant has me puzzled- its an Elizabeth Garside- Daughter in law. I didn't have a son for Henry (well I did but he died at/ soon after birth) so how can he have a daughter in law?

How do I untangle this one please?
Help gratfully received
Nicola

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 25 Mar 2008 21:00

Not sure what you are asking but to id your henry, find the marriage between Henry and Mary and the cert will have their fathers names and occupation and also if a widow, this will help to to id which Henry is yours on the census

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 25 Mar 2008 21:10

You said he could have been a widow before marriage to Mary, so did he have a son from his previous marriage?

Roy

Victoria

Victoria Report 25 Mar 2008 21:13

For reference,

Is this them on 1901 census

Name: Henry Garside
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Pendleton
Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Salford
Sub-registration district: Pendleton
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 137
Household Members: Name Age
Gertrude Garside 1
Henry Garside 37
Mary Garside 34
Leah Owen

Ivy

Ivy Report 25 Mar 2008 21:16

If Henry and Mary married in late 1891, then you might expect more children before Gertrude, who is the only child with her parents in 1901. Are older children with grandparents or aunts and uncles?

There is a marriage of a Henry Garside in 1906 in Salford. Could he have adopted a teenage son at this point perhaps?

Nicola

Nicola Report 25 Mar 2008 21:28

yes Jane
You have them on the 1901.

The 1906 marriage is unlikely to be connected as Alice was born in 1905. There are at least 2 Henry Garsides in the area born 1864!

The cert is on order - I'm just impatient they seem to take so long these days!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 25 Mar 2008 21:31

She could be his stepdaughter? In the same way that stepdaughter and daughter in law seem to be used in census returns.

Not sure if this helps or not.