Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

feeling sad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 26 Mar 2008 10:55

hi i just thought i would like to share something with you all . about 6 months ago i received an enquiry from someone who had seen a posting i had left on i think it was the roots site and offered me some info. i in turn helped them out as i had some spare credits on scotlands people and we became email friends i suppose you could call it. we would pass on humourous emails that we had received from other people and seeing their email in my box i knew i would always get a smile. if they were stuck with something on their tree they would run it past me. we sometimes exchanged details about our families like off to visit grandchildren this weekend etc..
on thursday last week i received an email from another friend about dumb lawyers that was quite funny so i passed in on to all my contacts. last night as i was about to go to bed i went to check my emails and to close down the computer when i saw in my inbox an email from them. i opened it up only to find that it was from their partner to say that they had died suddenly on saturday night aged 62 years. i cant tell you how sad i feel today. although i never met them and our only interest was family trees and we only exchanged emails perhaps a couple of times a month i feel such a feeling of loss.
just thought i would share this with you all and remember to take a closer look at your loved ones and friends today and let them know they make a difference.
so to everyone on here that has helped me or i have managed to help just - thank you for your time and you did make a difference
love linda x

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 26 Mar 2008 11:09

How sad Linda

You do meet some lovely people on this site and you do become friends with some of them.

Chin up

Marcelle
x

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 26 Mar 2008 11:15

Linda (((hug))) for you and yes its true we do form attactments even to people we have never met doing this hobbie, least you know you tried to make her last couple months as nice as you could;; ;;;
Condolence to your friends family ;;;

Babs

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 26 Mar 2008 11:17

Sorry to hear about you E-Bud.
Thank goodness their family were able to access their email (which mine would not)

Carter

Carter Report 26 Mar 2008 11:25

it makes you think doesnt it that if families couldnt access our emails then there would be lots of people out there who would wonder why we hadnt replied or where we had gone. i have had contacts in the past that have just faded out and i had always thought their computer was broken and perhaps couldnt afford to have it fixed or they had perhaps had a virus and lost all contact addresses but i had never thought that they had died.
its funny how you put a face to someone even on here when i get replies to my postings i try to place a face to them .
love linda x

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Mar 2008 18:06

Hello Linda
Sorry to hear about your loss. A similar thing happened to me. Dorothy & I both had Sullivan ancestors, although we turned out not to be related. However, we became honorary "cousins" and emailed one another at least once a day. I knew that Dorothy's health wasn't good and she was housebound a lot of the time. She was a very feisty lady and I admired her spirit. We shared a similar sense of humour. We exchanged family pictures by email and I felt that we had become great friends. Then about a year ago I had an email from her daughter telling me that Dorothy had passed away. I felt a great sense of bereavement for the loss of friend whom I'd never met but felt close to. You have my sympathy and understanding.
I hope you continue to make many more e-friends and wish you well for the future.
Mo.

Carter

Carter Report 27 Mar 2008 18:19

thanks to everyone i feel better now that i have shared it with you all it was strange just mourning somebody i had never met.
thanks once again for all your support
love linda x

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 27 Mar 2008 20:54

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend.

The fact that you never met doesn't make this person any less a friend.

In fact, I know - from personal experience and from the experiences of people I know - that "e" friendships can be more intense than "real life" ones.

There is often an increased feeling of confidence in exchanging stories, opinions, hopes and fears with someone we don't know "in the flesh" - often moreso if it is unlikely we will ever meet that person because of distance

If ever that type of friendship ends it is just as upsetting as the end of any other.

Hold on to the jokes and messages if you still have them. I'm sure they will bring you comfort in the future.

Amanda x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Mar 2008 21:36

sorry to hear about your loss Linda, and obviously the shock was greater because it was so sudden and unexpected. But good that you were told. I once had a snail mail penfriend who I had written to for several years, met her too a couple of times and got on well as we both enjoyed photography. then i didn't hear from her for ages. found out quite by chance about 6 months later from another pen friend, that she had died suddenly aged about 60. None of her family had let me know even though i had sent several letters and a Christmas card in the meantime. that was very sad. I have left instructions for people to be told if I pre decease my OH.

ann
Glos

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 27 Mar 2008 23:09

I had a dear friend on the Internet a few years ago. She was disabled so e-mails and instant messaging meant she could chat to people.
We used to chat every evening then one day she told me she'd found a lump in her breast.
Sadly it was a very aggressive cancer and she was soon in a hospice.

I never met my friend face to face but my daughter was at university not far from the hospice and she decided to visit my friend to pass on our love.

My friend died just a short while after and I still miss her chatty messages.

The Internet is a wonderful thing. Just as in life in general some friendships are fleeting and of the moment only, while others are for a lifetime.

Sue