Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mechanical engineer - help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Esta

Esta Report 27 Mar 2008 17:17

My grandfather was listed as a mechanical engineer at the time of his death in 1954. Can anyone advise if there is a society etc where records may have been kept on apprentices etc.

I am unable to pinpoint my grandfather's birth record for definite as there are two individuals with the same name born within a year of each other and I cannot find any record of his marriage to my grandmother so cannot move forward unless I can find information from elsewhere.

My grandmother and grandfather are not listed as married on the birth cert of my father in 1940 but when my grandfather died in 1954 my grandmother has given the family name as her own and listed her maiden name.

Any pointers going forward would be a help as I have been unable to progress this side of my family tree for over a year now and its frustrating!

Esta

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Mar 2008 17:23

Esta

This is the website for the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and they say they have been the qualifying body in the UK for over 150 years.

http://www.imeche.org/

Chris

Esta

Esta Report 27 Mar 2008 17:49

Thanks Chris.

I have sent an e-mail trying to find out where records would be kept and if any remain back to the date I am looking for.

Esta

Ivy

Ivy Report 27 Mar 2008 18:22

Hi Esta,

Two other possibilities

- did he join up in the Second World War (would there be a service record you could access?)

- could you trace the other chap forward and attach him to one of the two birth records?

motherhen

motherhen Report 27 Mar 2008 19:20

Hi Esta

I'm not sure if this is right but it might help. My great grandfather was a marine engineer and did his apprenticeship in the Clyde shipbuilding industry. There are Craft and Trade Guilds or Incorporations in Scotland but I am sure they will have something similar in England. He was a member of the Hammermen and I have found him in the records in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow

Maybe the National Archives at Kew would have something?.

Hope that helps.

Diana

Esta

Esta Report 27 Mar 2008 19:22

He appears not to have served in the war as I can find no trace of him. I'm wondering if he was in a reserved occupation.

I've tried ruling the other Arthur out but with no success at this stage.

You'd think with a surname of Millichamp it would be easy! My husband's side of the family was easy and they were all Smiths or Bakers!

Ivy

Ivy Report 27 Mar 2008 20:10

Hi Esta,

If these are the 1888/1889 births, there are a couple of members of GR who have an Arthur Millichamp on their tree. Might it be worth contacting both these people?