Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DELEATING TREE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 28 Mar 2008 00:57

If i delete my treefrom here and then reload it again with a lot more names,Will i loose all my contacts etc.steve

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 28 Mar 2008 01:07

No - but you will lose all your hot matches,
and it will take months for them to return
especially if you have a large tree.

xx mick

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 28 Mar 2008 07:07

The hot matches coming back is a nuisance as they all come back stating new match when you have already been in contact with the person.

By the way Stephen you don't have to delete your tree, if you upload a new gedcom it overwrites your original tree.

Christine

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Mar 2008 08:26

I don't recall loosing Hot Matches whenever I upload a new tree, and I have almost 30 pages including current and discarded ones.

There might be problems if your new tree doesn't have all the names that the old one had and some of the missing names have already been Hot Matched with other members.

I think there is also a problem it Hot Matches happens to be running against your data when you are uploading a file, but you wouldn't be aware of this at the time.

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 28 Mar 2008 09:21

I had a tree on here with about 2700 people on it.
When I uploaded my full tree with about 4000,
all the hot matches disappeared, and each new batch of matches (which arrive every 3 to 4 weeks-
not 2 weeks as advertised!), only cover a small section of my tree - after 4 rounds of so called hot matches I am still only getting as far as late medieval
times.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 28 Mar 2008 10:01

My hot matches have all disappeared twice when I uploaded a new gedcom and the same happened on my husbands account.

Christine