Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding out info before ordering certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 28 Mar 2008 09:45

could anyone let me know if there is a way of establishing from the indexes, without knowing the name of the spouse, whether one of the parties in a marriage was widowed without ordering the certificate? I have the other name and the index details of one party

many thanks, Carol

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Mar 2008 10:04

Hi Carol.

No as all these details should be on the certificate, if that information was given at the time,,,,,,but depending what years you are talking of,,

,,,some parish curch registers will state if one spouse was a widow/widower.

you may well need to get the certificate.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2008 10:11

you dont need the name of both parties . if you have one name and the GRO ref thats all you need to order a marriage cert,
You can only find in depth info ie widowed ,by getting the cert Unless of course you have established an earlier marriage .

If you find the marriage on FreeBMD then by clicking on the page nos it will show all those who married at the same time with that ref . depending on when it was then its usually two couples. Earlier records had four couples .
You can also by elimination look on the next census after the marriage, up to 1901, and see the christian name of spouse this may help if that name is only one on the marriage record. In the case of ladies doesnt help tho if there was two with the same christian name ie Mary Smith & Mary Jones . you would need the cert then to see which Mary it was.

Hope this all makes sense

Shirley

Carol

Carol Report 28 Mar 2008 10:23

many thanks for that, as I have one name I think I will have to invest the £7 and find out who the second wife was (no blood relations, just tidying up)
the marriage in question was 1904, and the first wife was alive at the 1901 census so I only have 3 years to search for her death at least!

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 28 Mar 2008 11:40

Don`t know what area your looking at.... but LancsBMD gives Bride and Grooms name and then lists it again with a different surname if they have had one previously.....hope this makes sense....other UKBMD sites may do the same....not all BMDs are transcribed to these sites...but they`re adding to them all the time.

Nicky