Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1916 electoral rolls??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louisa

Louisa Report 28 Mar 2008 23:11

hi,
can anyone give me some pointers as how to access the 1916 electoral rolls online?
have hit a brick wall and finding out who lived at 27 Church Street, Margate, Kent seems to be my only way round it!

Thanks,
Louisa x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Mar 2008 23:16

Historical ER's are not available on line.

You can access them at the main library for the area............although I'm not sure they were taken during WW1. They certainly weren't during WW2

Try contacting the library..........they would be able to advise you, and, if you're lucky. they may be perpared to do lookups............

Reg

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Mar 2008 08:49

It wasn't until 1918 that males over 21 and females over 30 were given universal franchise. Women aged 21 had to wait a further 10 years before they were allowed to vote.

Even if you can find the records, unless the resident owned the property and the land it stood on it is unlikely he would be on the voting register.

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 29 Mar 2008 10:03

You would be better looking at the local taxation records, available in the records office relevant to the area you are researching.
It will tell you owner and occupants.

Ian