Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 29 Mar 2008 17:29

If a baby was born before 1837 and you didnt have to register them how do we find them, if they didnt get christened please?
Sue

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 29 Mar 2008 17:34

It's likely they were christened - or should I say baptised.

The worst thing is that I've read somewhere about parents who took their children to be baptised but could not afford to pay the fee (for the baptism certificate?) and therefore left before the cert was completed. In that case the entry may not have been made in the parish register as I think they were completed after the event.

However, that probably happened in only a very few cases and probably only in larger towns.

Chances are there is a record somewhere of the baptism of the child you are looking for.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Mar 2008 17:34

With a given father's name and occupation at their marriage, you may be able to find the family in 1841.

Gwyn