Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WWI and WWII

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 30 Mar 2008 19:24

Hi all

Does anyone know at what age would a person be able to serve in the wars (youngest age and eldest age)?

Many thanks
angela

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 30 Mar 2008 19:28

16-18 but lots lied to join up, oldest I think varied as the wars progressed and available manpower started to get short the upper age limit was raised

Angela

Angela Report 30 Mar 2008 21:26

Thanks Colin

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 30 Mar 2008 22:11

Hi Agnie,

My grandfather was only 16 years when he enlisted WW1 and 40 years for WW2. Might add my granny was not impressed being left with 9 children to bring up when he went off to war.

bye Helen

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 31 Mar 2008 10:09

How tragic 14 years old. I read Foulkes "Birdsong" a couple of months ago and the horrors of WWI moved me to tears.

xjuliex

xjuliex Report 31 Mar 2008 10:45

My father was born in 1900 and he ran away from home to join up. He was 14.

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 31 Mar 2008 13:23

my great grandfather did the same. born 1900. went to join was told to come back when he was older. my nan says he walkd around the block went back and they let him join. he was 15.

Angela

Angela Report 31 Mar 2008 13:34

14 years old! That is frightening isn't it, my nephew is 14.

My great uncle fought in WWII and died at sea aged 42. I wonder how much older they were upon joining up. Surely not in their 50s or 60s?

Keith

Keith Report 31 Mar 2008 22:05

I believe I am right in saying that the oldest recorded WW1 soldier was 68. Also that one of the men killed when the Paras dropped into Normandy in Jun 1944 was 16