Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing thread

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 31 Mar 2008 08:21

On Saturday I saw a post on either "Tips ot Redords Office" boards informing us that Find my Past now had Ships list up to 1960 and the person was offering look ups.
I thanked her and placed my request.I now cannot find the thread and it its anywhere to be seen, its not in my threads.
If she deleted her post, would it dissappear from mine also?

Ann

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 Mar 2008 08:41

If the original poster of the thread deleted it then all the replies also disappear.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 31 Mar 2008 09:06

Ann there have been a few threads deleted by GR (?)lately & the original poster has no idea why

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 31 Mar 2008 09:23

I don't know why this thread has gone, but it may well be because when you sign up for a site, the terms and conditions you agree to say that your membership is for personal research only. By offering public look ups, you are infringing those terms and conditions.

In the past companies have ignored such things, but they are starting to clamp down now. One person offering free look ups, means that company is missing out on people who would otherwise have to pay them for the information.

Some companies threaten legal action. To give one example I own several sets of census discs which I used before Ancestry was available. I don't need them now and would like to sell them. You used to see them advertised on Ebay, but now you only see new ones. The company involved immediately threatens legal action to anyone who posts an advert. In the original terms and conditions, it does say that they are not for resale,not that I noticed that when I bought them. So I now have an expensive redundant collection of cd's.

To be fair, another way of looking at it, is that the money from sales of discs or subscriptions is used to fund new transcriptions. This was fair enough when it was small family history societies which were involved, but it all seems to be in the hands of large organisations now. Maybe that is why they are clamping down, because they all have large legal departments LOL

Linda

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 31 Mar 2008 13:59

There is someone on the "Records" thread named "Lynn from up North" offering look up of passenger lists on findmy past.
Forgot to note the name of the thread but did note the time!!
31-3- at 11.41.
Bet

I imagine she has paid for access and as it is time-limited maybe she just wants to use up her credits rather than lose them?

Thelma

Thelma Report 31 Mar 2008 14:20

another
Findmypast look-ups........RE-OPENED.

Please provide as much detail/info as you can and Deb needs a change 31/03/2008 13:33:00 1119

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 31 Mar 2008 16:56

Hi Linda
Many thanks for your pm

What a mystery.
Thank you for the offer, details are in the pm

Thanks once again
Ann

Sheila

Sheila Report 31 Mar 2008 21:29

Hi

Bernice deleted her thread by accident maybe it was hers, she has started a new one will nudge it up for you.