Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

***Libra Lady***

***Libra Lady*** Report 31 Mar 2008 10:07

Hi not sure if ive posted this on the right board but can somebody please explain (very simply) what a gedcom is. All I've got so far is you can transfer from one geneology site to another but haven't a clue how to go about it.

Is this how some people actually post the census details on GR.?

Do I need to download anything? If so what!!. I have FTM 2006 I can't actually see gedcom on there (or am I looking in wrong place or do I nee a more uptodate version). Can you transfer census info onto the FTM with it. I'd love to able to do that but I do do need help please

Thanks from a totally confused member

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 31 Mar 2008 10:23

Gedcom is a special file format, which is used to transfer information between different family tree programs. You can load one produced by another program in to your FTM or conversely save your data in FTM as a Gedcom file to send to someone or upload to sites like GR.

In FTM, for example, to create a file you would do file, export then select gedcom as the file type.

Have a look at the thread called "Gedcom files, a guide to them....", I have nudged it up for you.

In answer to posting census details, no this would not be the way. What you see on GR is more likely to have been cut and pasted from an Ancesty screen.

***Libra Lady***

***Libra Lady*** Report 31 Mar 2008 14:13

Thanks Peter

I will read that thread. It sounds so easy now. Going to have a go with FTm

Thanks again

Di

Ron

Ron Report 31 Mar 2008 15:24

Stating the obvious Di. which you may not have thought of.

Put the words Gedcom File into Google, that will produce a few hours worth of reading for you.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

***Libra Lady***

***Libra Lady*** Report 31 Mar 2008 18:30

Thanks Ron

I'll have a go at that. If still confused will get back to you in 3 weeks when Ive read it all

Thanks Again Di