Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advise please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 1 Apr 2008 21:39

I and others have spent many a hour searching for: Death record of Agnes Mary Wells Maiden name Richens
Born 1898 Uffington Berkshire Died between 1958 to 1970 last know address Tilehurst Reading Berks. WITH NO LUCK.
Agnes was sometimes known by MARY (tried that as well)
Her husband John Wells died 1946 and have searched marriages from 1946 to 1970 to see if She remarried I know she lived with a Albert Tutall (but have been told they never married) and could find no re-marriage entry so hitting a great big brick wall.
Any idea's where I can go from here.
Thanks
Sue.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Apr 2008 21:41

She could have lived beyond 1970 - you may just need to extend the search period. My mother in law is now 86 and her brother 87 - some families are long-lived.

That would be my first step.

Jill

Sue

Sue Report 1 Apr 2008 21:49

Jill
I know that she was dead by 1970 and as daft as this sounds because of two family funerals know She died between 1958 to 1970
regards
Sue.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 1 Apr 2008 21:54

Have you tried looking for her under Tutall ?

Maybe whoever registered her death didn't realise she wasn't actually married.

Sue

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Apr 2008 22:05

Right - sorry Sue I was being a bit dense there.

Think Sue in Somerset has a good point and Tutall is a name that could so easily be mistranscribed. How was it pronounced? You may need to rummage through possible soundalike names. Worth also, looking out for Albert's death if you're going to search for Agnes.

Sue

Sue Report 1 Apr 2008 22:16

Sue /Jill
Found Albert's death 1968 obtained death cert and name and signature of informant was signed by Hospital Doctor (with words died alone) so i took that to mean Agnes had already died went through Tutall's death's same period with no luck,see what I mean about brick wall!!!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Apr 2008 22:19

Oh Sue - doesn't sound too hopeful. Although, she would have been about 70 at the time and for some reason not at the hospital when Albert died.

Is there a chance of checking a local paper at the time he died - the week or so after - in the hope that someone posted one of those messages about him? Bit of a long shot but worth a go.

Sue

Sue Report 1 Apr 2008 22:25

Jill
Yes will give that a go thanks, but that still doesn't explain why I cant find any death record for Her.
Thanks again
sue

Suzy

Suzy Report 1 Apr 2008 22:43

Hi Sue

Just some (probably silly) questions to try to help you:

Was she definately married to Mr Wells; do you have marriage ref/cert?

Do you have death cert for Mr Wells? Is she informant?

Have you tried looking for a death ref for Agnes under her maiden name, Richens?

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure about time band 1958-1970?

Suzy

Sue

Sue Report 2 Apr 2008 13:08

Suzy,
Yes she was married to Mr Wells have marriage cert and also death cert for him as Her as informant and yes have tried looking under Wells.Richens and Tutall ! As for time scale know she was alive in 1958 and have now tried up to 1980 although am convinced was before 1970 with no luck.
thanks.
Sue

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2008 13:16

Unlikely I know but.......
We couldn't find the death of someone but eventually found she had remarried aged 83.

Try all possiblities !

Gwyn

Suzy

Suzy Report 2 Apr 2008 23:04

How about Scotland. Could she have moved there, or died there?

Suzy

Sue

Sue Report 2 Apr 2008 23:57

Suzy.
No I know from My Dad she was living in Tilehurst, Reading Berkshire when she died He just cant remember when or whether Albert died before or after her
sue

Sue

Sue Report 4 Apr 2008 13:36

n

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Apr 2008 14:36

Sue

I hate to say it but maybe Dad doesn't remember it as it really was.

My Dad (and Mum) remember visiting Dad's Grandmother (paternal side) in hospital on their wedding day as she only had days to live.

Well it turns out it was actually his maternal Grandmother (I have the certificate) his paternal Grandmother lived on for a few more years!

Dad also remembered his paternal Grandfather died before his paternal Grandmother...No he didn't.

As they say...Old age plays tricks :(

Chris