Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHEN GETTING MARRIED DO PEOPLE HAVE TO PROVIDE THE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

leesle

leesle Report 2 Apr 2008 09:23

can anyone help when a couple apply to get married are they asked to provide their birth cert, therefore they have to get married in that surname of which they were born in unless they had been married previously.
thanks

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2008 09:31

Do you mean in present day?

I think that you can marry in any name that you are known by, as long as there is no intent to defraud.
I never showed certificates when we married.

Gwyn

leesle

leesle Report 2 Apr 2008 09:40

this would have been in the decade of 1930-1940.
when I got married in 2002 I wanted to use my maiden name and not my previous married name, and they wouldnt let me.
I had to use my previous married name and that was, what was written on the cert

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2008 09:47

My cousin chose to remarry using her maiden name in 1986 and it is her maiden name that is shown on the registration, as it was the name that she used then.

Gwyn

leesle

leesle Report 2 Apr 2008 09:50

there seems no definate answer maybe I had a stickler as a registrar, they wouldnt even let me take my vows in my maiden name.
but if anyone knows about 1930-1940 I would be grateful

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2008 09:52

If they were both 21 &over 1930/40 then no proof would have been needed,,

You could have gone and have your name changed by deeppoll back to your pre-married name then thats what you would have marrried in,,,,,,,,the legal name you have at the time of marriage is the one that will you are married in, in your circumstances your surname was your previous married one,,,,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2008 09:54

My daughter went to a church remarriage on Saturday, I will ask what name the bride used.
It won't answer your question but it's got me wondering now whether all vicars / registrars have the same rules.

Gwyn

leesle

leesle Report 2 Apr 2008 10:09

its bizarre isnt it, they seem to make up their own rules, seems no firm answer on this one really

kay

kay Report 2 Apr 2008 10:19

Hi.This will totally confuse,I got married with the name that I was known by.which was the name of my husband to be.Kay

leesle

leesle Report 2 Apr 2008 10:30

oh no.
the gentleman I am trying to locate was born bernard taylor his father was away during the war and parents not married
it seems after some time and the children started using the fathers name graham, so bernard graham, but when that happened and as to whether he married under taylor or graham, heavens knows

leesle

leesle Report 2 Apr 2008 10:48

oh dear I would have to check all the childrens names both as taylor and graham
and the girls could have married and remarried, they could have had four names, think I will go for a lie down

SallyF

SallyF Report 2 Apr 2008 11:58

We married in Canada in 92 and I can't remember having the birth certificate with us to show them.

Karen that's an unusual surname you have. lol

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Apr 2008 12:20

The minimum legal age for getting married is 16 years old. In England and Wales the written consent of the parents or Guardians is required for persons who have not reached 18 years old and have not been previously married. If either of the persons is below 18 a birth certificate must be produced. It is preferred that all persons produce such evidence.

from http://www.weddings.co.uk/info/legeng.htm#age

It is preferred that all persons produce such evidence (so not a legal requirement for persons over 18)

Roy

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2008 12:59

1930/1940 legal age was 21,,,,,,without parental /guardian consent,,

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Apr 2008 13:47

Basically, you have to be able to prove who you are, how old you are and where you were born.

The information which may be required is:-

* evidence of name and address
* evidence of date of birth
* if one partner has been married before or in a civil partnership, documentary evidence that the marriage or civil partnership has ended, for example, a death certificate or decree absolute. Uncertified photocopies are not accepted. A certified copy of a decree absolute may be obtained from the court which decided the divorce. This can take about a week
* evidence of nationality.

A variety of documents can be used as evidence of the information required, but a passport, travel document or birth certificate is usually sufficient. You should contact the register office where you're getting married for more specific advice on what they will accept.

People from overseas may be asked to show their passports. There is no legal requirement to show a passport before getting married and instead, they can produce a birth certificate (accompanied by a certified translation if necessary), an affidavit or other personal identity document.