Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 2 Apr 2008 13:54

After trying for 2 and half years to find my GGF's birth, I now know that I have reached a very high wall with no way over without help. I have asked on this site a few times but situation is very confusing. I thought I would ask again for any ideas as I know how good you all are. My Great Grandfather was John William Slater, born circa 1880, he married my GGM - Margaret Ellen Slater in 1912 in a catholic church East London, it says on Marriage Certificate that he was 29 and that his father (George Slater) was deceased and worked in the Merchant Service as a Ships Steward. Both witnesses were family members on GGM side. His job was a canal worker. He died in East London in 1926, death certificate states his age as being 46. After marrying GGM he never had any contact with his family, no-one knows why, hearsay in family is that he came from Strood in Kent but only John William Slater born in Strood Kent had a father called Richard - birth certificate 1879, North Aylesford refers to this. Can anyone fathom out impossible situations like this?

Dawn

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 2 Apr 2008 13:58

You may need to consult the Catholic Registers rather than finding them the ordinary way

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 2 Apr 2008 16:59

Hello Dawn,
Have you found him on any census
Pat.

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 2 Apr 2008 17:11

Hello again Dawn,
I have had a quick look on the Free BMD site from March 1878 until December 1882 there where 27 John William Slaters listed, unless you can narrow down your search I think you may be stuck.
Are you aware of any siblings?, this could help you find them in a census.
Sorry I could not be of more help.
Pat

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 2 Apr 2008 17:40

No I don't know of any siblings Pat. I haven't found him on any census but makes it hard with his Dad being in the Merchant Service as I suppose could be anywhere. Wondered if I wrote to church where they were married - would they have any more info, date of birth etc - what do you think? Also, how do I search the Catholic Registers Devon Dweller? Thanks for all your help.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 2 Apr 2008 17:55

Sorry I meant to add the link earlier...

http://www.stjoseph.org.uk/

The web page has changed a bit since I had to use it...(for my GG Grandfather who was the only child out of 6 children to be a catholic! )
Basically there was only 1 church in London St Pataricks in Soho and the services were half CofE half Catholic to be properly recognised back in the mid 1800's

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Apr 2008 20:22

A quick look on FreeBMD doesn't list any births during WWI. Have you tried army records or WWI pension records for him?

Rose

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 2 Apr 2008 22:14

Possible for 1881

Name: John Slater
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Relation: Nephew
Where born: Poplar, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: Bromley St Leonard
County/Island: London

Street address: 7 Hinks Place
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Poplar
Sub-registration district: Bromley
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
George Sheen 55
Mary Sheen 53
John Slater 7

Possible for 1891

Name: John Slater
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Whitechapel, London, England

Civil Parish: Dawdon
Ecclesiastical parish: St Johns
Town: Seaham Harbor
County/Island: Durham

Registration district: Easington
Sub-registration district: Easington
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Dawson 2
Joseph Dawson 5
Sarah A Dawson 31
Thomas Dawson 9
John Slater 16

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 3 Apr 2008 21:47

thank you eveyone, I will keep going at this, I must solve it sooner or later.

thank you
Dawn

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 3 Apr 2008 22:50

Just a suggestion but I'd be exploring the possibility that the father was called Richard George or George Richard.

Could these be the same man?

Births Jun 1839
Slater George N. Aylesford 5 352

Marriages Mar 1874
Slater Richard N. Aylesford 2a 525

Sue
x

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Apr 2008 14:24

Hutsie,

Have you tried looking for William John Slater?

It took me over a year to find any 'documentary evidence' of my Grandfather. He was supposed to be John Samuel S..,born in London. He was in fact Samuel John S... born in Cambridgeshire.

His Marriage & Death Certificates have him as John Samuel but his Birth Certificate is Samuel John.

M. Steer