Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old photos on ebay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 3 Apr 2008 20:34

Hi All,

I've been looking on ebay on the off chance I could find something relating to my family and I thought it would be a shame if you didn't know about some photos that could belong to you!

One photo that I liked was of a Miss Hatchard dated 12th September 1879.

There are also lots of unidentified photos and whole albums that it would be worth looking at!

Happy hunting,

Vicky X

Paula

Paula Report 3 Apr 2008 20:42

Where did you find them pls?

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 3 Apr 2008 21:01

I just typed either:

Victorian photograph
Old photograph
family photograph

in the search box and just browsed what came up.

Vicky X

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 3 Apr 2008 21:19

I've just bidded on a Loughborough school photograph from about the time my grandmother was at school. It might not even be the right school, but for 99p, you can't argue!

I might just get a couple of nice old photos just to put them on this website:

www.lostphotos.sgrboards.org

There are already lots of unidentified photos on here and well worth a look!

Vicky X

#  lou #

# lou # Report 3 Apr 2008 21:38

cant get that cite up ave google it too ..lou

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 3 Apr 2008 21:41

Hi Lou, try this:

www.lostphotos.sgrboards.org/index.php

Vicky X

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 3 Apr 2008 23:00

Just been looking at the old photos on E bay. Found the one of the dead child in the open coffin with her family sitting posed very disturbing. Was it the custom to take photos like that in Victorian times? I´ve never heard of it before.

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 3 Apr 2008 23:00

Just been looking at the old photos on E bay. Found the one of the dead child in the open coffin with her family sitting posed very disturbing. Was it the custom to take photos like that in Victorian times? I´ve never heard of it before.

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 3 Apr 2008 23:10

It was quite common to take photos of dead people.

I can't remember what they are called, but sometimes they would have whole album dedicated to deceased members of their family.

Vicky X

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Apr 2008 23:11

To the Victorians death was not a taboo in the way it is today. They often had photos taken of the dead both with and wihout other family members.

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 3 Apr 2008 23:19

There is also a set of 4 postmortem photos that are very creepy...............

Vicky X

Margaret

Margaret Report 3 Apr 2008 23:45

I have some old photographs which i found in abox of wot nots i bought at an auction years ago.There is also a letter with the address R R# 1- SITE 32-BC VOR 1WO CANADA If This makes any sense to any one i would be very pleased to hear from you Regards Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Apr 2008 11:22

Sorry the last add should read John and Sheelane Stigant R R# 1-SITE 32 C2 FANNY BAY-BC Vor IOW CANADA Margaret

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 14 Apr 2008 12:08

I did put this on another thread, but I bought a old school photo which I’ve put on the lost photos website.

It is a very large photo of the pupils of Loughborough High School from 1937. I’ve had to scan it in 4 sections, but if anybody recognises anyone, please let me know and I can send you a copy.

Thanks

Vicky X

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 14 Apr 2008 13:13

You can save favourite searches on eBay and get notified when someone new is listed. I have saved searches for quite a few of my ancestral villages and got good results.